1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hand Shaving

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Taxi12, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Taxi12

Taxi12 Member

I typically send my hides off to a tannery for their shaving and tanning, but would like to try home tanning to save a little money and turnaround time. I don’t currently have a fleshing machine, just a skife (though other affordable hand tools could be acquired if they would be more useful). How exactly do I go about this, particularly the detail areas like feet and face, and how do I know that I have it as thin as can be? For reference, the next animal I intend to work on is an American badger. Thank you.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Skive knife with plenty of blades. Very hard to shave a pickled cape/skin to get a nice even skin with hand tools.

George likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used to use a fleshing beam and a razor sharp draw knife. I could get it to the blue after hours of hard work, but, never could get a smooth shave. It was always slightly divoted in spots and not all that even. Not noticeable on the finished product, just not as smooth as I could get on the round knife in 30 minute or less time.