1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezing Ducks

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by moonshine, Dec 21, 2018.

1. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

what is the best way to store ducks in the freezer, should i skin them out first before freezing for a future mount , thanks in advance

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    When I don't have time to skin, I wash whole ducks and freeze them wet in ziplock bags. If I can skin and prep, I then wash them and freeze them the same way. If they will likely be in there for more than a year I fill the bag with water.

rogerswildlife likes this.

3. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

If i skin the duck out should i degrease and shave before freezing or it doesent matter

4. mrb

mrb New Member

What I do is vacuum seal and freeze
    What I do is vacuum seal and freeze

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

What 3bears said ! Freeze em wet in a 1 or 2 gallon ziploc bag . Be careful vacuum bagging them if you use the texture bags they may leave imprints on your feathers. I've had personal birds frozen in ziploc bags in water and thawed out several years with no problem at all . If you wheel them go ahead and completely wash and degrease and then freeze.
    Tommy

3bears likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Wrap their head in a paper towel, tuck it under a wing, place in an airtight plastic bag, and it will last a long, long time. I've got spare ducks that have been frozen this way for 5+ years. They are still mountable. Filling the bag with water will probably keep it good for 10+ years without an issue.

7. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

Thank you i appreciate it