1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"fluffing" A Fish To Cast/mold

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shorefisherman, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Just curious what methods you guys use to fluff and revive a fish after it thaws out to make it look more presentable to cast. What do you guys do to tighten the belly so it doesn't sag, and have a big flat spot?

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Definitely don't google "fluffers"

LOL

:)

Kerby...

3. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

HAA HA HA HA HA (gaaaaaasp)!!!!

~S

shorefisherman likes this.
  4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Pull my finger

msestak likes this.
  5. In order to take the sag out of the belly of the fish before casting you will probably need to place some kind of filler, such as wet sand, through the mouth and into the gullet of the fish to help restore the shape.

The reason that so many fish blanks exhibit the strong upward "U" shape is because this is the only way that the fish can be positioned in order to stretch out the wrinkles in the belly and make it more smooth looking. Northern pike seem to be positioned this way more often than not.

6. Anyone ever try attaching a hose to a caulk tube and pumping the belly full of silicone or something similar to tighten the belly up?

7. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Yes! But use the cheap caulk, silicone doesn't do anything for the finished product.

~S

JL likes this.
  8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You can tear a crappie to pieces with a caulk gun. Be very careful. It doesn't take much for a blowout.

shorefisherman and Sotired like this.
  9. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

It comes in squeeze tubes for them "tender" types.

~S

10. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

2ck2vt.jpg

Cecil, rogerswildlife, Clew and 3 others like this.
  11. No crappies, I've got a half dozen or so walleyes from 9-14lbs I'd like to cast some nice molds of, but noticed some things on thawed out walleyes I skin mount I wouldn't want showing up in a replica. Mainly that saggy gut issue, was thinking caulk or plaster pumped down the throat to stiffen it up. Just wondering what you guys do.

msestak and trophy time like this.
  12. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Most of the time when I have this situation, I cut a slit in the gill area on the back/non-show side of the fish then insert the end of the cheap caulk in and fill the abdominal cavity and not just the stomach area accessed through the gullet. You can use TP or paper towel to plug the hole if the caulk oozes out.
    Just another option..................NOAH/jerry

JL and shorefisherman like this.
  13. There's a post in the tutorials ,molding and casting a catfish ,it shows the caulk being used for pumping up the belly

msestak, shorefisherman and Sotired like this.
  14. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Numerous things have, and can be used, depending on the size of the fish and the position of the casting. Larger fish, like saltwater fish are apparently cut open and packed with sawdust or sand, depending on who is doing it. I have done a great number of smaller fish without any filling at all. I have been know to shove paper towels down a few throats, and caulk too. Liquid injection is tricky, because it can leak out. Try to use the smallest guage needle available, and move it to different areas to avoid numerous "sticks". Then try to seal the hole with Superglue.

~S

15. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Forgot to mention, the most extreme method of 'fluffing' is to mount the fish in the normal manner, and make a mold before it dries. At least one old time blank producer used to do this on occasion.

~S

JL likes this.
  16. Thanks for the info guys! Seriously appreciated.

Sotired likes this.
  17. I don't know how long it will last for casting but I have just used air in the anal opening to fluff them up for molding a plaster cast for the fill method. Works well for that but may not last long enough for making a cast.

18. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

To notch work is done by mounting the fish and then casting it.
    You’ll see minimal flaws this way. Otherwise folks cut the head off ( the right way) take the gullet out and the fill it. This gives you a better quality mount than shoving a tube up their hinny and filling it or for some fluffing lol

JL and Trashfish like this.
  19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Oh great now I'm going to have to google that and loose more of my innocence!

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

BINGO!

JL, Frank E. Kotula and Fallenscale like this.