1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zoo Animals

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Taxi12, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Taxi12

Taxi12 Member

I’ve seen a few people who are able to obtain specimens who have died as zoos and I’ve long been curious—- how do you go about doing that? What permits are required?

BO-N-ARO likes this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would contact my local zoo with that question.

3. Jaegerbones

Jaegerbones New Member

As someone who has job shadowed at an AZA certified zoo,
    I would say chances are it's unlikely they'll let you take anything from bigger public zoos.
    At the zoo I interned at with some animal deaths at the zoo some of the parts will be processed for uses in the education department. Sitting in the lobby is a wonderful articulated skeleton from one of the zoo's late snow leopards, and there's also some other stuff like skulls and pelts. The zoos may also trade their artifacts with other zoos, or keep duplicates. (I would also likely imagine there being certain regulations about how to deal with dead animals in AZA zoos.)
    When it comes to private zoos, petting zoos, smaller zoos (maybe) or animal education programs, you might fare more of a chance. You may not have quite the selection as some of your larger zoos, but I think you'd stand a better chance.

As Tanglewood Taxidermy said though, you can always ask the zoo and they could say either yes or no.

Edit: also keep in mind a lot of zoos like to do a necropsy, and if they do they likely won't cut it to your specifications.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019