1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Russian Boar

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Blazingnate, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Blazingnate

Blazingnate New Member

I’m planning a Russian boar hunt with my bow this winter. I guess they have nice thick coats in the winter. I hate to waste a hide like that, but don’t want to pay a taxidermist. Looking for recommendations for a total newbie. I found this form and wonder how difficult it would be to do (https://www.mckenziesp.com/mobile/Wild-Boar-Rick-Carter-C4719.aspx)

I also wondered about doing a boar skin rug. Just trying to make something with it without spending a fortune if that’s possible for a total beginner.

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Boar, especially large ones are kind of a pain because they can be greasy and their armor plate needs to be removed. Which is why most taxidermists charge more for them.

3. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Not something I'd recommend for a newbie. If not done properly its going to be a big greasy mess. If you get one do the animal justice and have it professionally done you'll be glad you did . And get something a lot easier to try for a first go at taxidermy .
    Tommy

George likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I was starting out, I got a boar and took it to the taxidermist to process the the cape and hide and tan it. He charged a lot for that and I happily paid him.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  5. Blazingnate

Blazingnate New Member

You guys are awesome. I will be taking him to the taxidermist it sounds like.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A boar would be the last thing on MY list to do in a shop and it's truly a far-fetched idea for a beginner. A mature boar will have a 2 inch "shield" on the shoulder that requires it be shaved down to wallet leather thickness. It can be done with a knife, but if you do it once, I doubt you'd ever try it again.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Personally I think boar are relatively easy to mount and the form you picked out would be a good one...of course, I am referring to the process of mounting the boar AFTER skinning, fleshing, degreasing and tanning!! If someone else would do that part I would charge a lot less for mounting a boar. But to mount it, you have to skin, flesh of that plate, degrease and tan and all of that is a time consuming, labor intensive, back breaking effort in which you will wear out whatever knife blade you choose to use. If you’ve never fleshed one (even if you have fleshed many) trying to flesh down that armor plate you’re likely going to make many cuts in the cape that will have to be repaired. So basically what we’re trying to say as tactfully as possible is that the statement “I hate to waste a hide like that, but don’t want to pay a taxidermist” is a complete contradiction. Good luck on your hunt, though!

8. The shield on a boar seems to be shrouded in mystery. its not that damn difficult sharpen your knife throw it on the beam and go to work and I mean work it is going to take some time but its cheaper and not hard to mess up. how will you learn and if you do screw up just buy another cape. take a risk!