1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Land Locked Salmon Or Brown Trout?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I say LLS but that caudal fin seems like it should be more forked. Wish I could get a look at the vomerine teeth! It was caught in an inland lake in New York if that makes any difference.

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

My gut says salmon, but I've been wrong before!

~S

CCarlson likes this.

3. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

I vote salmon also

CCarlson likes this.
  4. Well if you know the body of water it has a fin clip and you can probably track it down. It looks like an ATL to me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Sotired and CCarlson like this.
  5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Looks 200% salmon. I actually can’t figure how they get confused with browns

CCarlson likes this.
  6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Salmon 100%

7. Juveniles it can be hard to tell closley related salmoniod species apart even for a trained eye. That's where anatomy comes into play, lateral line scale counts, mouth teeth rows, fin rays, etc. Parr and adults are not so bad. But you start getting them in their pure silver lake/ocean forms in the 1.5 year range and even I occasionally get stumped.

Sotired likes this.
  8. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

The hitch lies in that once you try to lay down rules over how a trout should look, they break them!!! You can have parameters, and guidelines, but the only rule for a trout is that they can ALWAYS break the rules!!!

Just my opinion based on 55 years of close observation, but I'm stickin' to it!

~S

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Angler did not list that on the angler forum which is typical. Usually want to keep it a secret.

Sotired and Multispeciestamer like this.
  10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Found it was Lake Colby in the Lake Placid area of NY. Is stocked annually with 5 to 14 pound broodstock salmon. Case closed.

JL, Sotired and Multispeciestamer like this.
  11. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I’m referring to the mature adult fish that most any of us would possibly be getting in for taxi work. However even smolt Atlantic look quite a bit different then browns

Sotired likes this.
  12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Depends on what strain and time of year Mudbat. There are some lake subspecies and sea run brown trout even as adults that are dead ringers for salmon. I saw where 30 percent of landlocked salmon in the Great Lakes do not have forked tails.

13. lloks like a brown to me based on spots, tail, head shape. The LLS I see have an "X" type spots, a pointier head and forked tail.

Sotired likes this.
  14. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

Its an ALIEN GENETIC CROSSBREAD!

Sotired likes this.
  15. winks33

winks33 Member

I understand there is an area by the finger lakes that holds seeforellen browns. It looks similar to ones I’ve seen from that area before.

16. winks33

winks33 Member

I understand there is an area by the finger lakes that holds seaforlin browns.

17. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I get that. There was a post somewhere on something where I had posted that 30% number before. I’ve got photos of broomed tailed Atlantics that are Square. Just me personally have never question them. They both look very distinct to me. But that’s just me

Cecil likes this.
  18. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Oh my word were still on this? LOL Its a Landlocked salmon boys. Giver up!

JL and Sotired like this.
  19. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

7A8B2D41-5F09-438C-8C98-2AF379C8F554.jpeg

Cecil and Sotired like this.
  20. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

This is an Atlantic salmon without a doubt.