1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Vintage Paper Deer Head Forms Wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Bert phillips, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Bert phillips

Bert phillips New Member

Looking to purchase vintage paper whitetail deer forms. Old foam forms if made by Woosterline ok also. Thanks , Bert

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Why ???

3. Bert phillips

Bert phillips New Member

The reason I want a couple of paper forms is because when I was young (50 now) I was a novice taxidermist and got a diploma from Nothwest Taxidermy school and some of those mounts were still paper forms. I would just like to have a pair of them to show the younger generation how far we have come in the taxidermy industry as I display them in my deer room. Thanks Richard for asking. Have a blessed new year! Bert

4. Richard C

I understand as I too learned on paper forms. Mostly Woosterline and Jonas Bros . Looking back they really weren't bad to work with . Remember cutting out a head block and backboard on your bandsaw and the lip slot with a sabre saw ? How about paper earliners ! The "good old days". Learned from J W Elwood too. Now 78 . A great new year to you and yours also.

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I have very fond memories of the Northwestern School of Taxidermy. Took the course in 1961 at the age of 12. Do any of you remember their paper deer head forms? I can't imagine what they were thinking when they manufactured those terrible things. Mounted my first deer head on one of them and almost gave up right there.

6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

But that's all we had so we made them work. We had to be "real" taxidermists and clay in our in muscle and tone. I don't think I ever used the paper forms "as is"..... but I do remember buying my first foam manikins from Jonas! IMG_1897.jpg

7. crs

crs Member

N Tx
    Graduated in 68 12y/o North Western School, JW Elwood IV on my diploma later saw a diploma from 1910 exactly the same with JW Elwood . The man had passed and had hawks eagles owls songbirds lots of supplies, the family was afraid they would get in trouble (one was a smart cop) so they burned it all.

8. I have a paper one and a wood one but they are not for sale - neat part of taxidermy history! Eyes and ear liners that go with them too.

9. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '76 here.

Used to buy not only from Jonas Bros and Van Dykes but from JW Elwood as well.
    Yes, the good old days making paper form make forms from using dextrin in a double boiler. NO BOND ears,, hehehe ,,

socalmountainman likes this.
  10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

J W Elwood was the P T Barnum of taxidermy. He was in the business of selling, not doing! I took those lessons in 1970. I still have a raccoon I mounted on a paper form in 1971. It's hair has turned as grey as mine!

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Jame W Elwood’s occupation was listed as a “Stuffer” in the 1940 census....

Attached Files:

12. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Thank you. I have wondered for a long time how old he was or would have been when I took the course in 1961. Any other info you may have about him and his family would be highly appreciated.

13. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I'm a little younger than you boys, my diploma is May 23, 1973. I was 14 when I received it but I was "stuffing" pigeons from books at the library by 12.

Mine is signed by Alfred V. Burkley, President & School Director. It is co-signed by a
    B. Owen Burkley.

My Diploma is framed and hangs in the shop for all my clients to see.

I saved and still have all correspondence including critique letters and special messages!

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

He was born in 1875, so in 1961 he would have been 86.

15. mike janicki

mike janicki Member

WI
    I got two whitetail bucks mounts from about 1920 taken by great Grandpa they are in tough shape. On one the nose is busted open and you can see newspaper and wood shavings in there. also have a doe mount taken by Grandpa mounted 1940- 42. Can`t recall what yr. for sure but it was the first yr Wisconsin had legal doe tags, that is why it was mounted and is in pretty decent shape. I think maybe I`ll dig them out of storage and do a little investagating. Old = cool

16. barryjohnson65

barryjohnson65 Member

Have a burlap form if interested $30 text or call 308 530 8533

17. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Is this what you are looking for? If so do you want it worse than I want to keep it is the question?

DP

woosterline.jpg woosterline1.jpg

18. D.Price

Also have one of these bad boys!

DP fiberglassform.jpg fiberglassform1.jpg

19. Richard C

D.Price
    I have a couple of those fiberglass manikins around also. They were fun to mount on ???????

D.Price likes this.
  20. D.Price

Yes sir they were. Are you keeping Rick Krane out of trouble up there? Hope you are doing well.

DP