1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2019 What's On Your Workbench

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 1, 2019.

1. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

IMO Much more! $400 a duck is more like it.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

It's frustrating to say the least. I had a business in NW Ohio western end of Lake Erie for 20 years and have never gotten the amount of birds in that I figured I would. Years ago I had the same quality of my work question so I joined my state taxidermy association and took two ducks to the Big show in Columbus to go up against other folks and did really good. So I figured my quality was there and my price is set at 200.00. Never have been able to figure it out if it's price or what?

3. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

I think the most difficult thing in our business is building a clientele.my situation is very similar to Brookes,i take in probably three times the amount of wholesale as I do retail work. I do believe there are several reasons for this .

First: pricing..... right now I'm at 300 a bird for ducks,at the start of the 2019 season here in October I'll be going up to 325.(still lower than others around me) I still get calls Every year everybody wants their bird mounted until they ask the price then it's "I'll get a hold of you in a day or two"

Exposure:i dont advertise, with the exception of word-of-mouth and plastering business cards on bulletin boards everywhere I go. ( i am part time birds only) competitors within a 30 mile area of me have websites and Facebook pages and all that jazz,i do not.

Lastly, everybody has a guy. Had a client three years ago coming to me and say if I like what you do,you're my guy and all my buddies you'll be their go to for birds.( Real standup guy he kept his word ) taxidermy is a hard business to get started in because everybody already has a taxidermist if you have a guy whose doing good birds for you you're not gonna want to go anywhere else, finding those new clients that don't already have an established taxidermist is the key,finding clients who can appreciate a quality mount and will pay the asking price for the work you opens the lock....now that I'm done writing my book I gotta get to some finish work so I can post some birds on this workbench thread lol

BrookeSFD16 and bucksnort10 like this.
  4. benp

benp New Member

That's a great price in my opinion from a clients perspective. Most guys around here are charging $300+ and don't do half your quality Brooke

BrookeSFD16 and bucksnort10 like this.
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I get $275 per bird. Here's another $275 Woodduck that's giving me fits on the white stripes
    IMG_5396.jpg

little fred, GotHonks, pir^2h and 3 others like this.
  6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Barry. Something ive been doing in the white stripes is once the bird has tightned up lightly wrap some sting around it. The string will give you enough pressure to hold, but will also allow you to move each individual feather. It's been helping me. Just gotta make sure the skin isint pinched under the tucked wing.

As far as the pricing/ amount of birds goes. I really don't know. I do prefer wholesale, but I would have sure thought by now that I would be getting in at least 50 customer birds a year.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Thanks Brooke I'll try that. I as referring to those head stripes. I tried to bring you some work but hunting was top on your agenda at the time LOL

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  8. BrookeSFD16

Head stripes use a tiny paintbrush.....and the magnifiers....but yes they suck.... especially as it dries.

rigbobby and Wildthings like this.
  9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

One day I hope to have a bird good enough to post on here. Being a hobbyist only I don't get a lot of practice. I just don't have the time with my job. One day...

10. BrookeSFD16

Pir..... doesn't have to be a good bird. Hope you get time. Post up whatever you are working on! We'd love to see.

rigbobby likes this.
  11. pir^2h

IMG_7786.JPG
    Here goes! Meet Pythagoras. All my critters have names and they are named by my students after famous mathematicians. As you can tell or know, I am a math teacher.

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I'd say that pheasant is "good enough to post".

rigbobby and Wildthings like this.
  13. pir^2h

Thanks Tanglewood!

14. BrookeSFD16

Well I got all excited when this guy came in.....until I skinned it. Sure would have thought that this late in the year it would have been better feathered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GotHonks, Quiscalus, rigbobby and 5 others like this.
  15. pir^2h

Brooke - That one is pretty! And considering what you had to work with that is an excellent job!

Vic

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  16. KLFL

KLFL Member

You should post your work on Instagram if you don’t already, I feel more hunters use that now adays then Facebook..

Chippers likes this.
  17. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Going out tomorrow IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1893.JPG IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

18. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

1. Skinning and fleshing this week....my favorite! IMG_1903.JPG

19. rmann

rmann Member

Dang Dark Man, I recognize three of the hard to get species in that bunch, I actually thought I still had that spotbill...then I remembered, did you see the already packed box I have listed in for sale section?

20. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Hey Randy how you been man!? You should recognize them,they used to be yours lol.finally got sone time to get to some personal stuff.