1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Grease From Peroxide 40 Solution

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by JORiley, Jan 1, 2019.

  1. JORiley

    JORiley New Member

    6
    0
    Hello all, we are using a method for degreasing/whitening deer skulls that I found on Whitebone Creations youtube videos that uses a 50/50 peroxide 40/water solution. We clean with beetles, then to whiten/degrease we bring that solution to a boil, then remove the skull and it works pretty well. Problem I have is the grease/fat forms a layer on top of the liquid and I am looking for the best way to remove that from the mix so that we can reuse the solution, any suggestions? According to his video he can use the same batch for 30-40 skulls, just looking for a good way to get rid of the grease. thanks!
     
  2. I
    can assure you that just using peroxide does not remove all the grease
     

  3. Sea Wolf

    Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

    As above. Use the advanced Search on here to read how to really remove the grease without cooking it into the bone. The grease you see in your pot is surface grease you have melted off with the boiling liquid. Peroxide is not a degreaser, nor does it dissolve grease. It's good for whitening, dissolving small bits of flesh and that's all.
    If all you want is to remove the solid grease from the surface (that alone should be a clue that peroxide does nothing to dissolve grease) chill the solution and the grease will congeal enough for you to skim it off.
     
  4. cyclone

    cyclone Posts: 400001

    After diluting peroxide with plain tap water, be it city or well, and heating to boiling I highly doubt there is any peroxide remaining in that mixture at all..
     
    BearBonz likes this.
  5. JORiley

    JORiley New Member

    6
    0
    Have you ever tried it? I've done about 15 skulls this year and it is extremely effective in removing any tissue the beetles left and also does a pretty good job of whitening as well.
     
  6. JORiley

    JORiley New Member

    6
    0
    The process is removing grease from the skulls, alot of it in fact...otherwise how would i have a thick layer of grease on the surface after boiling the skull in it?
     
  7. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    5,624
    1,047
    MN
    It does remove some grease as it boils the rest deeper into the bone, the heat does it not the peroxide.
    I've been there done that, it somewhat works but not to my liking. I prefer making sure I get as much grease out as I can, regardless of the time it takes, with the tested and proven methods of heated water and detergents.
     
  8. cyclone

    cyclone Posts: 400001

    Post some pics of your freshly degreased skulls compared to your year old skulls...
    Peroxide solutions contain stabilizers to keep them from decomposing. Adding tap water is going to speed decomosition. Heat is going to speed decomposition.

    From the SDS:

    Appearance Water-like, colorless Liquid
    Odor Odorless
    Odor threshold Not Measured
    pH 3.4 - 4.0
    Melting point / freezing point Not Measured
    Initial boiling point and boiling range 100 C Decomp.

    10.4. Conditions to avoid Extreme heat and cold.

    But hey, if it works for you then by all means have at it...

    ...and if it is so good at removing grease then why doesn't it remove the grease from your pot?

    Oh, and I forgot, metal also catalyzes decomposition. Is that a metal pot he's using?
     
    BearBonz likes this.
  9. JORiley

    JORiley New Member

    6
    0
    Appreciate the help with the question of removing the grease from the surface of the liquid!!
     
  10. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    5,624
    1,047
    MN
    Here you go, if you must persist with this method. Clean the skulls with beetles, degrease in 120 degree water with 1/3 cup dawn to about 5 gallons of water, changing every 3 days or so, longer is fine once grease transfer slows. When fully degreased in about 3 to 8 weeks, boil the piss out of it in peroxide and water. That is how you keep grease out of your mixture, once it is there other than freezing it and removing it as it solidifies, i'm not sure you can.
     
  11. Racks n Plaques

    Racks n Plaques New Member

    11
    1

    Yea he uses what looks like an Aluminum Pot mostly and then sometimes a Galvanized Foot tub. I have used his method with good results at first, BUT like y'all preach on here that Grease will show if not degreased correctly. DEGREASE DEGREASE DEGREASE!!!!
     
  12. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    THANK YOU CYCLONE. I almost lost my teeth when I read that and I don't even have dentures. I foresee someone in this industry making headlines in the obituary column one day trying to play Mr. Wizard with chemistry. Geez people, isn't basic chemistry even required in school anymore.

    Simple chemistry:
    Water = H2O (2 atoms of hydrogen, one atom of oxygen)
    Peroxide + H2O2 (2 atoms of hydrogen and 2 atoms of oxygen

    In water, the oxygen atoms are joined to the hydrogen by covalent bonding. That means that each atom shares an electron. In peroxide, that extra atom of oxygen is unstable as it is searching for a pair of hydrogen atoms. What that means to people like me is that at some point, that extra oxygen atom is going to leave the building. That happens in the presence of light, heat OR COLD. If you were to put H2O2 into a pressure cooker and heat it to 150degrees Celsius, you might want to be in the next area code. Boiling it without compression simply allows those oxygen atoms to drift off into space and join the universe.

    Now Cyclone, please clean up the inequities I created trying to explain what I learned in 10th grade about 57 years ago.
     
  13. JORiley

    JORiley New Member

    6
    0
    Wow, I remember why I quit moderating and visiting forums years ago....people behind a keyboard and PC monitory completely lose their ability to civilly and directly answer a question without some sort of back handed insult. Wish ya'll well, have a good day.
     
  14. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    5,624
    1,047
    MN
    Your question cannot be answered by any of us with an answer that will satisfy you. We are attempting to guide you to a safer and better method, which you are unwilling to accept. You shouldn't blame us for your thin skin, we are trying to save it.
    I've got to ask you, do you think some place such as Skulls Unlimited uses this dangerous and likely substandard method? I would bet against it.
     
    bucksco80 likes this.
  15. Sea Wolf

    Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

    I told you to chill the liquid and skim out the solidified grease. Another person said essentially the same thing. That was your direct answer .. twice.

    As for your method you copied from online, it is wasteful, potentially dangerous and is not doing a professional job. The skulls you are doing this way are going to look like absolute crap in a couple of years once the grease in the bone bleeds back to the surface. But you don't want to listen to that answer either.
     
  16. Skulltastic

    Skulltastic Member

    129
    17
    I've found highly heated peroxide to produce flakey brittle bones. No good. If I had to do it again I wouldn't go above about 100F or so and just give it more time.
     
  17. joeym

    joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

    If peroxide had any stability at all, it would be sold in clear containers, not brown or blue ones. It takes almost nothing to destabilize it. A little heat in that pot, and its dead. I learned that way before a keyboard even existed!
     
  18. tomdes

    tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

    You probably would pull as much grease from your 50/50 solution without heating it. This should be the last step you do (whitening without heat), not the first step. Follow the peoples advice above, we all have many years experience doing this process.
     
  19. tomdes

    tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

    BTW: I just thought of this, but put you fingertip in your boiled peroxide solution, if you get a peroxide burn, then you still have some strength in the mix. But I would agree with Cyclone, you probably won't get a burn because you've boiled away all the peroxide, and you'll have to add more. And don't worry about the burn, just rinse it in cold water, it will go away in a few hours.
     
    BearBonz likes this.
  20. cyclone

    cyclone Posts: 400001

    Evidently pig skulls need only be boiled for 30 minutes in a water/Arm and Hammer liquid detergent solution for complete degreasing..

     
    John Chase and Neldoreth like this.