1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Selling A Mounted Goliath Grouper?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Schrecken, Jan 2, 2019.

1. I have a very old goliath grouper head mount that I got in a trade many years ago. I am considering selling it but based on what I've read fishing/catching the species (other than as catch and release) is prohibited. But I've not found anything about the legality of selling an old mounted specimen. Great White shark fishing is of course banned in US waters but it is still legal to sell their jaws and teeth within the US. However, this is a goliath grouper and not a GW shark I'm talking about here.
    Also no idea what it might be worth if it can legally be sold.

Anyone know anything about the legal aspects of this fish? Since it is only found in Florida would this be a federal or only a state regulation?

2. There is no fed regulation on Goliath groupers just state regulations in Florida so it wouldn't seem to a problem selling it but you should probably check with fish and wildlife wardens. Goliath actually exists all the way down to Brazil on the Atlantic and exist on the west coast of Mexico down through Peru in South America....although they look alike the pacific goliath is actually a slightly different species.

Sotired likes this.