1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preferred Glue For Setting Wire?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jakemyster44, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jakemyster44

jakemyster44 New Member

I have been trying to narrow down which adhesives I will use for articulating a bobcat skeleton. After using the advanced search, it seems that good ole Elmer's is highly recommended for gluing smaller bones, teeth, etc. Of course the only drawback is setup time. Is Elmer's also preferred for setting the wire in larger bones that are drilled? Or do you use epoxy, superglue, or two part glues? I have read conflicting accounts of these glues degrading or discoloring over time. Of course others swear by them. The quick setup time would be great, but I want a finished product that will last. What do the experts prefer? Thanks!
    Jake

2. KYBeetleman

KYBeetleman New Member

I've been researching this also getting ready to try my first articulation. I've seen videos of them using an accelerant spray when gluing. I have been using locktite super glue and gorilla glue on WTD skull teeth and skull plates as needed and its worked fine and dries faster.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Some glues discolor with age. 5 min epoxy turns a ghastly shade of orange after several years. The spray I believe is used with super glue type glues (cyanoacrylate). There is a gel type one you can buy. Depending on the size of the articulation or pose there are also white epoxy putties.
    I have used the white Gorilla glue but I don't have anything old enough to see if it discolors in time.