1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leaving Hide In Pickle

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DOUG H, Jan 6, 2019.

1. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

any problem leaving a deer cape in pickle,using McKenzie safety pickle,have go out town for 5 days

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You should be fine. There is no problem leaving it in the pickle for 5 years as long as the pH and salt content are kept at acceptable levels.

3. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Thanks I only asked because the last time I did that I found what look to be mold on the wooden platform I put on top my hide to keep it submerged

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I have left things in the pickle two weeks. What I generally do is put a towel (previously submerged in the pickle) on top of the skin. Never had a problem yet. Like Tanglewood said, as long as the pH is where it is supposed to be it will be OK.

5. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Thanks

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

That Mold growth you referred to is "Airborne"! Put a lid over the Pickle if you're only going to be gone for 5 days - otherwise have a neighbor or Buddy stop by while you are gone, and just stir up the Pickle a few times. Simply disrupting its growth with a few stirs will destroy it. I'd have it done every 2 days.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Along with what Bruce said, the lid will also help with keeping evaporation at a minimum.

8. shane whiting

shane whiting Active Member

Utah
    For what it is worth, I have had a lifesize bobcat in a Mckenzie safety pickle for 3 years and it tanned up fine with no issues. I would not recommend it and it luckily worked for me.

9. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Th

10. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Thanks all,got it Bruce next time your coming to Plymouth call me we’ll do lunch out on wharf at woods!

11. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Wow! Thanks Doug! I might be tempted to take you up on that invitation! LOL! We'll see how things work out!

DOUG H likes this.