1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting A Doe

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GP1419, Jan 6, 2019.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Member

I have mounted 100's of bucks but never mounted a doe, my question is should I just make a relief cut down the back of the neck so I can get the neck over the head or is there a trick that I can do that requires no cutting or sewing that some of you may know, thanks for any advice.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You can tube them but it takes some effort as to not mess up your clay work slipping em back on, or do it after it is on.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've done it both ways and prefer to make a relief cut on the back side of the head.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'd never think of one without the relief cut. Some people claim that it's "easy" to tube one out, but though "easy" isn't a word I'd use to describe it, mounting a tubed skin can cause undue misery, ESPECIALLY if the form is in a certain pose. Just make the cut from between the ears to the base of the skull. When the ears are positioned properly the seam will become invisible.

5. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Thanks guys I will be making the cut.

6. GP1419

GP1419 Member

One thing I wanted to ask and I forgot is will a buck form work with a doe if I build up the cut out where the antlers go with bondo or clay, he wants a full sneak with a turn, I was going to use the McKenzie 4600 if it will work.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You can make it work but I would order a doe form close and alter it. Check out dfs-29 Mears

8. GP1419

GP1419 Member

OK Thanks

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Yep, order the doe form. Older does have "mule faces" but the delicate structure is still in place. The Atlas connection to the neck is always thinner as well.

woakley144 likes this.
  10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Head, neck and shoulder proportions are a lot different on does than on bucks. You you would have to shave the neck and shoulders WAY down. I would definitely recommend NOT using a buck form for a doe. Buy a doe form!

woakley144 likes this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep what they said. In addition, you would be doing more alteration work on a buck form than altering a doe form to sneak.
    Or you could choose one of the 18 doe sneak forms from Research Mannikins or the five from McKenzie.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  12. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

When I do one I make a relief cut... sure makes life easier.... Then my 7 yo granddaughter mounted her... ( with Pawpa's help)

Attached Files: