1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Shaved Today

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Jan 6, 2019.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I bought my new SS flushing machine 2 years ago and have been struggling with it ever since not the machine but trying to get a sharp blade. never having used one before I thought the new blade was sharp from the factory and this is what you got. I tried sharpening it a hundred times and as I fleshed I would have to pull really hard to the point where my arms and shoulders got sore and I had to stop. I could not get it Sharp. So today I put on a brand new wheel and this was like unbelievableI i didn't know what I was missing and what it's like to actually have a sharp blade to shave with.now I'm afraid to touch it or I will mess it up because I must have messed up the first one .but now I know what I am supposed to have. I have tried every tip I was given to sharpen these blades and none of them seem to have worked I don't know how I couldn't have accidentally got it sharp at least once. any Hot Tips to sharpen a blade without wrecking it would be great thank you it was actually fun to shave

2. GP1419

GP1419 Member

I have done that also after just a few hides I tried to sharpen it and I guess I screwed it up because it never cut good again so I got a new one and have fleshed over 100 hides without sharpening it because I am still not good at it, I think the sharpening tools need to be at about25 to 30 degree angle when using so the edge will be slightly tuned up but using very light pressure is the key, but your right a new one is worth its weight in gold.

3. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Now im afraid to touch it I think I will just use it as is as long as it will cut. lol this one dull is probably better than what I had

4. I dealt with the same problem i had 14 dull blades that piled up , everytime i tried sharpening i made it worse, i just sent all my blades to research manakins to have sharpened, i will have them back in a week or so , they got back to me immediately nice people to deal with. Its alot cheaper than to keep buying new blades

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The problem is what seems logical to sharpen or tune the fleshing machine blad actually dulls it. I was making the same mistakes until I watched D. Price’s video. I highly recommend it.

D.Price likes this.
  6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I just had this discussion with Aubrey Young (Old Shaver) less than a week ago. He didn't argue with me on my summation that the blades being sold by the supply companies are simply pieces of ship. I shaved for over 40 years and the blade during that era were the best. The edges were heat treated and annealed properly. I routinely used my wheels for a year or more (running a few hogs would shorten that time, but with a new carborundum stone and some tuning steels, that blade stayed shaving sharp.)

I sold my shop to a friend and my Rawhide machine went with it. He called last week and said he couldn't use a blade through one cape without it being impossible to shave. I gave him the pat answer - IT'S YOU! So I went down to show him a thing or two.

He had a whitetail hide there and I took the stone and sharpened the underside of the blade. I took the steels and lifted it. That first pass was like a dream peeling off a layer that you could see through. Then the second pass took a bit of pressure and by the 4th swipe, I couldn't take even a sliver off.

I was told by a man I've trusted for decades that only 2 people supply professional quality blades and they are David Patton and Bill Metterhauser (the guy who invented the Rawhide Machine and who is out of jail and now marketing his blades and parts again I understand.)
    You're going to have a tough time if you bought the blades my friend did and I suggested that he send them to either of these two guys to have them sharpened. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken spit and I'm not impressed at all with the chicken spit blades I saw.

7. Glad I could help Mike and thank you for your purchase!

DP

8. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Please send a PM for your info. I’m desperate and sick of dull blades:mad: Thanks

9. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I would be interested in seeing this but it says not a DVD. I only have a few minuets a day to use a computer at work since I don't have one at home. and watching this 5 minuets at a time on a work computer wouldn't be good. Do you have this on a dvd?

10. No sir but you can watch it on your smartphone or tablet.

DP

11. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I have had the same problem, I found a way to get them razor sharp......

I use a ceramic knife sharpener and get it super sharp.... I can do 5-10 hide before I need to sharpen it again.
    And as George says it's you, not the blade or the machine.... It took me forever to get it set up right, but after I did I don't mess with the guards, You shouldn't have to use alot of pressure when you flesh, just pull it across the guard and it should shave....
    I'm using an old Dakota V, when I bought it, it still had the brass guards on it. upgraded to the composite guards and have so much more adjustment room.

12. Whitetails1

Whitetails1 Craig C.

George is Bill operating with the old address and phone number, I agree those were the best blades and he was the best at retuning them

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I got my info from Aubrey Young (Old Shaver). I assume he os.

14. Whitetails1

Whitetails1 Craig C.

Thank you!!