1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Large Degrease Tanks

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bpskulls, Jan 7, 2019.

1. bpskulls

bpskulls Member

Anyone have any pics or designs of some large tanks. I am currently running 2 tanks but I need to upgrade as I am taking a lot more work. Trying to not get too much higher on the electric bills.

Attached Files:

2. upload_2019-1-14_19-59-37.jpeg
    2500wt element for heat

3. jordan.feller

jordan.feller Member

Here's what I just put together - not saying this is what I'd recommend others to do as I'm a rookie when it comes to large degreasing setups like this. I've got the temp set on about 115/120 but it doesn't get much above 110, so the heater and water circulation fan are running non-stop. Going to insulate the outside this weekend and figure out a way to best insulate the top. I keep this in my shop and my shop is on average 50 degrees. Still have a hard time keeping it as warm as I'd like.
    IMG_6236.jpg IMG_6235.jpg

slammerdude likes this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That should work if you can get the heat up to 120. Deer fat is like sheep tallow and needs a higher temp to soften it. Try wrapping with house insulation and setting the tub on top of a sheet of that pink foam foundation insulation. Cover the water surface with a couple of layers of bubblewrap. That will also cut down on evaporation.

5. Dougkb

Dougkb New Member

I was looking into building a setup like this also but was thinking about putting a 4500 watt heating element in the side of a Rubbermaid 50 gallon tub with insulation all the way around that way it don’t take as long to heat up do you all think that would work?

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Those have been made up and work well enough. The setups mentioned on here used a heating element for a hot water heater connected to a thermostat. As long as it is only exposed to water it works well enough. Adding chemicals wreaks havoc with the element unless you can find an expensive one that is truly stainless steel.