1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any Tips For Skinning Tiny Animals?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Taxi12, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Taxi12

Taxi12 Member

I’ve been skinning ermine and time and time again I have trouble with skinning out the eyes, muzzle, and the paws coming off on me underneath where I’ve placed the relief cuts on the legs. And tips?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A small scalpel with a sharp number 11 blade, magnifying glasses at a rather high magnification and a gentle touch. I can turn the eyes of a humming bird with this.

3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper New Member

You need a really small knife and a careful touch. An exacto knife can work, or a scalpel. I can skin a mouse head no problem. Then again, I'm not even 21 yet, my eyes and hands are still nice and fresh. You might need a magnifying glass.

4. Barrett82

Barrett82 New Member

Try some locking forceps?
    They can provide delicate and precise force. Also work great for blunt dissection where needed.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Investing in an optivisor is the best money you'll every spend if you're doing small critters. I always suggest a NEW scalpel blade. Xacto's will work but they are nowhere near as sharp as a fresh scalpel blade with CUT ON CONTACT.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.