1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New To Birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Jan 10, 2019.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I did my 4th pheasant the other day and when trying to run the wires down the legs they started to fall apart. the scales started to come loose and one of the spurs actually popped off. I was holding it firm while twisting the wire in so its not like I was tearing at the legs. and I think I had 14 ga wire. thanks for any help

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

It happens sometimes. Make sure the leg is fully rehydrated before running wires. You can glue the scale patch back on as well the spur.

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Best tip I enev got at a convention was from Mike Orthrober. When you go to put in your leg wire take the wire and run it over a bar of soap. Of course you want to sharpen the point of your wire also, but running the wire over the bar of soap is key. I've since done every leg wire like that...even 6 gauge for Turkey and it makes a HUGE difference!

4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

You can also cut the pad of the heel of the foot. Take a wire or an upholsterers tool (Long spike looking thing with a plastic handle) and hook the tendons that run down the leg to the heel area and pull them down through the bottom of the foot and that will open up a channel for the wire to slip right through.

byrdman and drwalleye like this.
  5. Another thing that you can try is instead of sharpening your wire to a point cut at an angle with a wire cutter and twist as you reach resistance. A wire with this kind of point will help to cut through the tendons.

drwalleye likes this.
  6. Thanks brooke,will have to try that now :)

7. BrookeSFD16

It works wonders! No more fighting and twisting. I've got a groove in my bar of soap almost half way through now. And on the occasion I forget to do it I know it almost instantly and I'll I'll pull the wire back out and run it over the soap. Slides right in.

magicmick likes this.
  8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

What brand soap?

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cutting the heel was a method we used in years past. If you sharpen the wire, that's not necessary. The spur popping off leads me to believe your tried running the wire down the spur side of the leg. I always go down the other. It also sounds like the leg had spoiled and had been left out too long. I've never had what happened to you as I flesh and wire quickly. Also, 14 gauge wire sounds a bit thin to me. I used 12 most times and then 10 on standing birds. I also never ran a wire out the heel of the foot. It's easy to just bend that middle toe down and continue to push the wire until you're near that last toe joint. Then push the wire out. This allows for you to have the pheasant "walking" in a natural way with the heel lifted.

magicmick, drwalleye and njwhitetail like this.
  10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

y
    either way the tendons absolutly have to come out or your bird is gonna stink...

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Why does the birds I did over 20 years ago when I was beginning not stink? Their tendons were not removed.

12. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't remove the tendons and I have no stink either!

13. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

pull the tendons on your next bird and take a whiff..... you might not smell them when dried but guarantee mice beetles etc all do

Wildthings likes this.
  14. BrookeSFD16

Any bar of soap.

My opinion on the tendons depends on what you are injecting with. I've never removed the tendons but I inject with formaldehyde/glycerin. Masters blend has zero preservatives. It's basically foam. So I can see if that's what you are using then yes the thick tendons in upland birds may rot and stink.

jessewild and bucksnort10 like this.
  15. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

thanks Brooke for the advice, I will try it on the next one

16. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Curious George if you would be so kind as to share a photo of one of your recent bird mounts, Thanks!

17. George

Byrdman, what the hell are you smoking. TENDONS? STINKING? I've read some bullship on here but that one is close to the top.

Comments about beetles are simply ludicrous. The beetles who would attack a bird are not interested in the tendons. They're more intent on fat and meat residue. They will attack the bird's skin underneath the feathers, in the legs and in the wings. Then there are the dust mites that will simply love to shred the feather barbules

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM
  18. George

Brown Leghorn Rooster.jpg
    Bucksnort, I don't have anything "recent". I'm retired now but let me look.

The wire runs down that center toe into the plowshare. The legs are the birds own, the tendons WERE NOT PULLED and that bird has been mounted for about 10 years and DOES NOT SMELL.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 10:43 PM
    magicmick and jessewild like this.
  19. George

Woodie with black-eyed Susans.jpg

BrookeSFD16, magicmick and jessewild like this.
  20. George

Bald Eagle.JPG

The eagle has the wire in the right foot through the toe but the left leg runs through the heel so as to also hold the white perch in place. The eagle's natural tendency to close its talons worked in my favor on the fish.

BrookeSFD16, magicmick and jessewild like this.