1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Diaphonization/clearing And Staining Advice, Including Wet Preserved Stuff

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Fishkeeper, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper New Member

Can anyone direct me to a step-by-step guide for home diaphonization? Mostly small animals, mice and the like, maybe some reptiles.

How small does an animal have to be before it no longer requires skinning and gutting? I have a quarter-sized diaphonized angelfish that I got from someone, and there's no way that was skinned and gutted, it's tiny.

Also, if something has been preserved in rubbing alcohol, can it still be diaphonized?

2. Deadfish

Deadfish New Member

3. Taxi12

Taxi12 Member

On YouTube a woman has a step-by-step series called dying the dead in the first season of which she takes mice from frozen specimens to finished diaphonized specimen. In the second season she does the same with a small bird. It’s not necessarily perfect and you may need to tweak and backstep at some times but it’s a great overview. As far as size for those that need gutting, if you can do it it should be done, trim off any excess muscle/fat too, the less tissue there the easier it is for the trypsin bath and KOH to clear it out. As far as the alcohol preservation, I prefer formalin as it is more forgiving and stands the test of time. However, you should be fine with alcohol-I know many wet specimen preparers use rubbing alcohol and it tends to do alright.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019