1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Rehydrate Tiny Minnow

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fishkeeper, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper New Member

I have what I think is the planktonic fry of a large open-ocean fish of some sort. When I found it, it was an inch long and utterly transparent except for its eyes, with tiny fins. I accidentally caught it in a net while sweeping for minnows, and it died very quickly in the bucket- I'm not sure if getting stuck halfway through the net mesh killed it, or if it had been beaten up in the first place, or what. It had started to turn white along part of its midsection, which is why I didn't release it, I suspected it was already dying.
    I preserved it in rubbing alcohol, as that was what I had on hand, but set the jar aside and forgot about it. All the alcohol has since evaporated, and I'm left with a tiny fish mummy stuck to the side of the jar. Is there any way I can rehydrate it? I know I've seen all kinds of things that they do on forensics shows to rehydrate mummified fingers for fingerprints, but I don't know if any of that is any good, or would work on a tiny fish.

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Since you had it in alcohol originally I would refill the jar with "Iso-propyl"alcohol and let time do the work.