1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil Paint For Finishing Deer.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by newknapper, Jan 12, 2019.

1. newknapper

newknapper New Member

Who all uses oil paints to finish? Anyone? I was looking into it and thought I’d see if anyone else done it. Thanks.

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I did in the late fifty's ! That was when I was mounting on paper manikins that I had to use a band saw to cut out of wood a head block and backboard and insert /nail them into the manikin. It wasn't that bad but I hated laying up those 4 layer paper ear liners on my set of WT ear molds . The moose ear liner mold was made of cement , a heavy mother. Times have changed , thank god !

newknapper likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I watched Ben Mears do his finishing work with oils at the Nationals some years back and it was as good as any finishing job you'll find. HOWEVER, the use of oils is a particular talent of mixing and blending of an opaque medium. As is many older photo studios, the airbrush gave a way of softening edges and translucency that the opaqueness of oils don't provide . If oils are your best medium, by al means use it but for most craftsmen (and that's what MOST taxidermists are), the airbrush eliminates much of the guess work.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Go to the tutorial section. Click on List Of Tutorials By Subject. Go to the Game Head section. Click on Finishing A Whitetail Eye With Oil Paints by Eddie B.

5. It can be done,Sallie Dahmes also uses oils in the Breakthrough manual she wrote to finish a deer head. However, if you acquire a good airbrush and practice a little you can achieve very good results in a fairly short time. You can blend and feather edges much easier with an airbrush than with oils.

6. Jon S

Jon S Active Member

It all works. The oils take a while to dry. I've used tube acrylic paints the same way, with similar results.