1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Tans

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pir^2h, Jan 13, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

To answer your question: NO! If you wanted to go from the financial point of view, I used to get $350 for a bird/duck and using borax, the cost of preservative was less than a dime. Every time I hear a story about how changing to a product made the moon shine brighter, I get out my boots. The outcome is based on the artist, not the brand of paints being used. Remember Dumbo who couldn't fly without a feather in his trunk? Same analogy here. Changing product isn't nearly as successful and changing your habits.

BO-N-ARO likes this.
  2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Up date: Almost a year later (over eleven months anyways). I have some time since we are on the winter break from school and I ran across a skin I used the bird tan on today. I wanted to see how the skin held up. To my surprise it was still pliable and did not crack when I flexed the skin. Keep in mind that this skin was just sitting in my shop. it was not in the freezer all this time (or even part of it). The shop did not have air conditioning going with the exception of a few days I was in there working on a couple items for a show this past summer. I almost never use heat. The skin was exposed to high temperatures and high humidity and low temperatures and low humidity. (Part of my shop is in the side of a hill so it never gets to freezing inside it, the lowest I have ever seen was around 40 degree Fahrenheit)

There is my report on how the bird tan worked out over the last year. I will certainly be continuing this practice of tanning bird skins but I think I will continue to us dry preserve as a added precaution against insects.

Vic

3. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

As most of taxidermy choose what works best for you.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Vic, I, and many others I would assume, would be quite interested in knowing if the hide was actually still usable and mountable and how it reacted to being groomed.

pir^2h likes this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

That's a good question! Eventually I will get around to mounting it and I will let everyone know.

Trevor Patterson and bucksnort10 like this.