1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt And Alum Tanning?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by MissCreepella, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Hello I am new to Taxidermy and have been wanting to learn how to Tana hide but I am having trouble with grease on my raccoon, he was in the pickle for two weeks and I have tried salting him after.

Help?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Welcome but you should have left him in the pickle.
    Taking the coon out and salt drying it more or less ruin it.

The proper steps in greasy animal are this
    1: flesh as much as you can from the animal. Split and turn ears, eyes, lips.
    2: salt fold, drain next day, shake off salt , resalt hang and dry.
    3:Hydrate in water, rinse and place in the pickle
    4: 3 days in pickle, take out , drain, shave , degrease ( see tanning chemicals in suppliers), back in pickle overnight
    5: next day, drain, neutralize according to the tan your using. Universal is 1oz of sodium bicarbonate to a gallon of water and a handful of salt. Soak for 15-20 minutes. READ YOUR TANNING DIRECTIONS. Most skins are neutralized this way some want it longer
    6 use some kind of tan. Too many to mention, for we all have our favorites.
    AGAIN READ DIRECTIONS FOR THIS.
    These steps are the basic way for proper tanning.
    As said many good products are out there
    The best tans are soak tans.
    If your going to use alum remember it needs oiling plus in time can break down where as synthetic tans last longer as EX-100 has no shelf life, regarded as a garment tan and one of the best tans out there . It’s your choice on how your going to go.
    Hopefully this will get you on your way

3. Can you link me to that Tan I cannot find it and thank you for your advice

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Might be wrong but I think he meant EZ-100. Google "EZ-100 tanning" and you will find lots of sellers for it. It is very popular.