1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rocks Under Sheep Horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dave York, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

77141BE5-24CA-4A75-AE9A-CBD31E53C75A.jpeg After I got the horns off I saw some brown stick out of a calicified area on the the skull. I chipped it away and there were two rocks there.

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

thats a "stone" sheep

msestak likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

One of the very neatest mounts I did was of a 12 year old stone sheep killed by a dear friend of mine. He brought it in and I sweated the horns off. The right one came off easily, but the left one seemed stuck. I worked for a couple days and I saw that there was a "stone" stuck up under the apron of the horn. I took a small cabinet chisel and chipped away at the skull when the horn popped off and the skull fell to the floor. The "stone" rolled across the floor. Before chasing it down, I saw that it had gotten there when the sheep first got it's lamb horns as it was wedged deep under the apron. I went over to pick up the stone and was shocked beyond belief. It was a broken off cougar canine tooth. I guess if there was a story to be told, this one would have made a doozy. Maybe that's where the cartoon "Snaggletooth" came from.

4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Wow! That’s crazy that a tooth would break off.

5. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I would say that 1 in every 5-6 lions we shoot has a broken canine. I’ve even seen one that was missing 2 of the 4.

6. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Nice story George. I recieved an elk and the hunter told me it has 3 ivories. 2 small ones, one on each side ofthe skull and one big one in the middle? Sure enough I seen 2 typical ivories in the correct location and one real big one abouit 1 1/4" in diameter. I knocked out the 2 typical ivories as usual. The big one would not come out, it was in there very tight. I ended up pulling it out with vice grips. It came out and it was a 6" long broken off elk tine! It was polished like an ivory. Obviouisly the elk had been in a fight and had broken a tine off in his oponents head! Very cool! Shows how tough those critters are!!

George likes this.
  7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

GREAT story, Randy. Thanks for sharing.