1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Supplies, Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by FrankHoliday, Jan 17, 2019.

1. FrankHoliday

FrankHoliday New Member

hi. i am new to taxidermy and i ve been getting my supply for fish taxidermy online but usually prices are pretty hi and the shipping is pretty expensive and take a while. i live in florida and i am trying to get help to obtain my supplies since i have nothing local if someone could help me with what it would be my best choice to order supplies for fish taxidermy please help. thanks in advance.

2. You may look at a McKenzie Catalog if you havent already. They have outlets that are reasonably close to you.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you're going to be a "fish" guy, I'd recommend learning to carve your own. I was no good at it, but I know the fishheads do it to save money and to create armatures that match their needs. They carve from bulk foam which is MUCH cheaper. I have done a few but realize my limitations. If you charge appropriately, you'll never spend a penny on factory supplied forms: you clients will.

4. FrankHoliday

FrankHoliday New Member

Thanks for the help. I was always intending on carving my own. I am thinking of using the actual fish head. Can u explain to me what bulk foam is and where can i find it?

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

McKenzie sells it but marine sources include foam flotation bullets that can also be used.

FrankHoliday likes this.
  6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

FrankHoliday likes this.