1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Carving Foam

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Frenchy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Besides McKenzie or other taxidermy supply house, can anyone tell me where I can get 4’ x 8’ sheets of 6 inch green or blue carving foam close to MN.
    Thank you to who ever can help

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Diversifoam out of Rockford MN use to sell foam to taxidermists but it cost a pretty penny. They told me the cheapest per unit way would be to get a group of taxidermists together to order in bulk.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

And don't forget the shipping cost since shippers now base their shipping costs more on size vs. weight. You might want to check with Rick Krane. He has a very nice dense foam that I think gets drop shipped out Ohio. I haven't bought it yet, but used some in a workshop I did at his place and was very impressed.

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Matuska carries the big billets of ivory and blue as well. And shipping would be dirt cheap via Speedee.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Sotired likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks Jimmy, I plain forgot about that. I have gone to pink foam I buy at Menards but it only comes in 2 inch thickness and I have to glue it together if I want to get creative with the pose. I think I'll try some from Matuska next time.

6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    What do you use to glue the pink foam together? Is there a hard edge where foam glue foam come together? Thank you

7. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Try placing plaster of paris between the 2 pieces weight it down and when dry you can cut thru the plaster no problem.

Lance.G likes this.
  8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You can use a couple of different things. Never heard of using plaster, interesting. My concern with plaster would be possible cracking down the road. If I ever have to go to a thickness of foam I don't have I use spray adhesive to bond two pieces of foam together. 3M Super77 or something like that is the brand I use. I tried Lacquer Thinner and it worked ok, but a little more difficult to work with and not as good adhesion as the spray adhesive. I've also tried hot glue. Good adhesion, but a pain to get through where you knife hits when carving. IMO a good spray adhesive is the best method to tackle this problem.

Sotired likes this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    This is how I do it. I trace my pattern on enough pieces to accomplish the thickness I need and cut them out. I then use a foam adhesive, sold in caulk tubes. It is made expressly for gluing foam to just about anything. It is used primarily to glue foam to buildings for an acrylic stucco system. It will not dissolve foam like other adhesives. Then I try to place it where I will not be cutting or carving and glue the pieces together.

FishArt likes this.
  10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I know spray adhesive works and doesn't typically dissolve foam but I'm just not a fan of it as it does fail at times.

FishArt likes this.
  11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I've never seen it fail, especially once glued to a fish skin. However, I'm not real fond of the 2 piece foam deal whatever you use to bond b/c there's just enough of a "grab" by the adhesive when carving to be annoying. Therefore, it's much easier to simply keep a few thicker pieces of foam in stock for those really big ones!

3bears likes this.
  12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are right Marty but as usual I don't plan ahead and order some till it's too late and I have to get the damn fish done.

FishArt likes this.
  13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No speedy here Indiana and lot of states. UPS lobbied our crooked legislature to keep them out.

FishArt likes this.
  14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've used the expandable foam in a can. As soon as I sprayed it on I smeared it evenly with a putty tool.

FishArt likes this.
  15. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Does the can foam stay so it easy to sand and rasp the fish form?.

16. thanks will check with them!

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome

18. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

on hwy 35w and 694 is foam produc

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It's not perfect but close. Make sure you get the right kind vs the stuff that stays flexible.

Fallenscale and JL like this.