1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old Snake Skeleton Beginner Help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Taruna, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Taruna

Taruna New Member

Hey guys
    So during a field visit (interning at a wildlife place), we found an old snake skeleton and brought the pieces back. I've never even handled skeletons before but I thought it would be interesting to figure out how to put this together.

There are only about 40 vertebrae and maybe 15 ribs, two pairs of jaws with some teeth intact and some connecting jaw bones. There was no flesh/grease or anything, just some mud in the spinal canals. I've cleaned them using hydrogen peroxide, and now I don't know how to go ahead. All the forums and blogs I've read are for starting with an intact snake, and then removing flesh and everything so the skeleton has all its parts, even in order.

I can't find good enough reference images to assemble the vertebrae and ribs in correct order (since the neck vertebrae start out smaller, expand into the body and then narrow again into the tail region, so I feel like just assembling them in order of size would not be right).
    What do wire do you use to attach the vertebrae to? What glue do you use for this purpose? How does the head get stuck on? And moreover, how do the ribs articulate with the vertebrae? Do you use epoxy putties and if so what kind? Any and all information is welcome! I don't have long to complete this project, perhaps about 2 weeks, so I hope I get responses here :)