1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Joining The Ranks Of The Full Timers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Dave Byrd, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

In two weeks I'll be leaving an industry of which I've spent the last 25 years to pursue taxidermy full time. I started dabbling with taxidermy in '95 and decided to make a side gig of it about 8 years ago. In that time, it has grown well beyond just a side gig and into a full blown business. Many thanks to folks like Buckfever, RonB, George, JoeyM, Jim Tucker, Tanglewood and numerous others. Most of you I have never even personally messaged but I've absorbed just about everything on this site you guys and many others have written, both pros and cons, about making your living with taxidermy. It is all greatly appreciated! You all have been a great motivator! Thanks for helping change the direction of my life!

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    One day you may mean that sarcastically!!

Congrats........I think!;)

D.Price, 3bears and Dave Byrd like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your career change. I think with the positive attitude and customer base you have you will do well.

rogerswildlife and Dave Byrd like this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Are you fricken nuts? Seriously, keep the good attitude and outlook, it will be important down the road. There are plenty of good people and customers out there but every now and again you get the one that will test your resolve, if you know what I mean. Nobody gives a chit what has happened in your world as long as they get their mount back tomorrow. Good luck.

5. Dave I wish you all the luck, and happiness, that can possibly be bestowed on you. Enjoy your new endeavor.
    I found it flattering that you listed me in your list! Im happy that in some small way I may have impacted your direction you have chosen.
    If there is ever any way i can help. Im just a phone call away, don’t hesitate to call.
    I’ll end with one thought to keep in mind.
    When those days come, and it has beat you down mentally and physically.
    Sit down , prop your feet up, drink what ever flavor turns you on. Do this as dam well as long as you want to.
    Because you ain’t working for anybody esle, anymore. And you can do it if you want to.
    Oh hell just lock the door and go fishing!:D

rogerswildlife and Dave Byrd like this.
  6. Ron B

Alabama
    I was kinda pissed that he listed you first ahead of me!:mad::(:(:(:(

socalmountainman likes this.
  7. Congrats it must be a great feeling to do what you love ,I regret I didn't get into a full time taxidermy business when I was young,to many years being a nukenut.

Dave Byrd likes this.
  8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You read the brochures from these school catalogs (or online) and they make it sound like you can walk out of there school and open a business and be set for life. I would say that happens very few times. For someone young enough the best way is the way the original poster did it, work at it part time until you grow the business enough to reach full time. So, congrats on making it to the full time status! You paid your dues.

I am only a hobbyist and pretty much plan to stay that way until I retire from teaching. I could retire any day I want but right now even at my advanced age I feel like I can hang on another ten years. (Whether that happens or not may be another story) Then I might decide to do part time for something to do and an extra buck or three. But rest assured my prices will be as high as the highest priced in my area, maybe more. I will have my retirement and social security but I am refuse to work for free!

Best of luck to you as you Dave as you enter this chapter of your life.

Vic

Ron B and Dave Byrd like this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Not to scare you but I had one of those customers I mentioned, last night. He interrupted my supper to bring his deer back. He accused me of making his deer rack smaller. I explained my process and showed him other mounts during the various stages of completion. I'm sure he still doesn't believe I did nothing, even after I mentioned the required dry period, if you have a potential record rack, which this deer is nowhere near.

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

An old guy that I knew that was in the business for forty plus years told me when someone brings in a deer the first thing he did was take a polaroid photo of the hunter holding the deer up by the rack with their face in the photo. Then take a photo of the rack with a tape measure stretched across it. It eliminated that problem completely. As we all know, from the time they drop off until the time they pick up that deer grew into a monster. Now days with the digital age it would be even easier to get that photo and store it on your computer. Just a thought!

11. Ron B

Alabama
    I once had a dude call me and ask if I put anything on his deer rack that would cause it to shrink! I of course said no! He said he was looking at a picture of it as we were speaking and his deer was much wider when he shot it! I told him to take another picture holding the mount the same distance away and see how it looks! Never heard from him again!

Humans:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. I guess you do this long enough that is going to happen. Yep been there too.
    Usually they say this isnt my antlers mine was much much wider than this one.
    Its kinda gratifying to pull out my cell phone, take their pic with it and compare right there with their proof pic they got in hand.
    Most of the time a antler set has a unique feature , twist/curve/bumb/bend/ something on a tine that is most identifying to those antlers thats where i start looking!!
    Point it out then wait for the apologes to start flowing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  13. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I thought I would do this full-time after retirement. I retired in 2016. I try to get out into the shop 8 to 5 but I can't seem to get up before 10 am. I guess I'm full-time part of the time... if it ever gets to be a job, though, I'll retire from Taxidermy! Good luck Dave Byrd!

D.Price, 3bears and Dave Byrd like this.
  14. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Can't believe you guys brought this up. For the first time this morning I had a customer questioning whether I had accidentally switched his euro with another. He had two really good pics on his phone. The right main beam had a unique bend that was easily identifiable in the picture...he apologized.

15. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Thanks for all the well wishes! Next Tuesday will be my last day at the funeral home...it can't get here soon enough!

16. Ron B

Alabama
    Had another guy come to pick up a euro last year and I had one that did not have a name on it! I thought it was his! I showed it to him and he said it was not his because his was much bigger! Now I was feeling nervous because I now had an extra euro plus I was missing his! As he was leaving he described his rack which was a rather unique set with all these extra little brow tines so I went back picked up the one I had just showed him and said: "You mean like this"? ""Oh....I guess that is it" he said! :rolleyes:

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Buck, he never claimed it wasn't his, the brow tines proved that. He claimed I cut the antlers off and glued them back on wrong. They weren't as wide as when he dropped it off, just ask him, he'll tell ya. I showed him that I don't remove the antlers from the skull plate, so I did not glue them back on wrong. Even showed him the chart with measurements I do take prior to and during skinning. I'm the bad guy, live bone, skull plate shrinks while it dries because I am not going to take the time to make and install and apparatus to prevent that on a 120 class deer.