1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold From Mounted Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brad Hendrickson, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

Has anyone taken an already skin mounted fully finished fish and made a mold out of it?
    i have a 2.2 lb yellow perch. I'd like to make a Mold of it. it is possible or does it really need to be a FRESH FISH.

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

People who mold fish do it all the time.

Cecil and Sotired like this.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

A fully finished fish mount might have too much gloss on it to show any scale detail on a reproduction.

A fish skin mount that is not painted or gloss would be a better choice for making a reproduction from.

:)

Kerby...

JL likes this.
  4. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

I'm still trying to find tutorials and videos of the best way to do a mold. I find bits and pieces here and there..

Multispeciestamer likes this.
  5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

You tube has some. Either with bondo or with silicone.

:)

Kerby...

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

My thought is dealing with pec. and pelvic fins, if fish is painted. Removal could bring other problems. if not painted the fins are not a issue.

7. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

They are all chewed up anyway.. I was thinking of adding new ones
    I could give two turds what the fish looks like after molding it.. I was even thinking of striping it and repainting it myself.. I'm a newbie wannabe :)

8. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Some of the best molds are made from very well done skin mounted fish

JL, Cecil and Lance.G like this.
  9. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I will add, unless you mounted the fish it's not super cool to mold someone else's work. Legally its probably fine, but not ethical. Not that there's a lot of folks putting out skinmounts worth molding . Just an fyi. If I were to have someone great do me a skinmount, I for sure wouldn't mold that fish without consent from the person who mounted it. That's just me.

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

5D0A1E5F-A3EB-47A4-ADC4-33ADBED31209.jpeg

Sotired likes this.
  11. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

WEll, this skin mount is 20 years old and I was just thinking about trying it as a practice for molding and something to practice painting on... I sure as hell wouldnt be making casts of it for Selling purposes. lol

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Un
    Understood