1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New To Taxidermy- 50/50 Tan?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Emma Berry, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Emma Berry

Emma Berry Member

Hey Guys
    I was told that I could tan in a 50/50 mixture of denatured alcohol and turpentine.

I currently have a coon in one 50/50 bucket and a coyote cape in another 50/50 bucket.

Does anyone know the best way to get the chemical smell out of the fur once they come out of 50/50?

Thanks!!
    Emma

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Time but when I used it I washed in dawn. Took a while but the smell will leave. I would keep it in a well ventilated place the fumes could be dangerous

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The best way to get that smell out is to NOT use it in the first place. There are lots of superior tans you could be using that will also leave the hide smelling good.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I would like to have that fool who recommends using turpentine as a "tan" by both ears and baptize him in a barrel of it. Stay away from turpentine OR the denatured alcohol. You do NOT have a "tanned" hide. You have a mess. Turpentine is distilled pine tar and to "get the smell out" is going to take some kind of solvent to effectively do it. You're about to end up with coon and coyote rawhide.

5. Emma Berry

Emma Berry Member

Hey George- What would you suggest a newbie using?
    Thanks!
    Emma

6. George

The paint on tans are the only products I recommend to newcomers. Submersed tans take chemical knowledge and diligence that newcomers seldom have. With a paint-on, the hide is fleshed, salted overnight, shaken clean, the tan painted on for 6+hours and then the hide is washed in warm water, toweled dry and mounted. Products like EZ Tan and Krowtann are not "easy" for beginners whose prime objective is to "stuff" something. I call them gasoline asses as they usually have a fire in their rear to get it done. Once the newness wore off and the quality of those first mounts start showing up, the realization that more time should be taken is the obvious conclusion.

If you notice, I didn't list DP or denatured alcohol. I would have but the initial thread spoke of "tanning". I still recommend DP for beginners who just want to mount something. I still used it up until I retired because it was ideal for small to medium sized animals and when done properly, would last IN ANY ENVIRONMENT just as well as tanning.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Emma Berry likes this.
  7. Emma Berry

Emma Berry Member

Thank you for the great info! I truly appreciate your input! :)

8. Emma Berry

Emma Berry Member

I'm sorry George... What does DP mean?
    I have a dried coyote cape and tail coming to me... How do you feel I should preserve it?
    :)

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I know you asked George, but DP is dry preservative. It is a powder that contains ingredients such as talc, alum, and some times moth balls. I use it on birds, and mammals about squirrel size, although, some that have great skill can successfully use it on everything up to elk.

Most paint on tans recommend pickling, however, some have an alternative to pickling before tanning.
    When I first started, I used paint on tanning kits from taxidermy supply companies. They come with almost every thing you need and instruction for use.

Emma Berry likes this.
  10. Emma Berry

Emma Berry Member

Awesome!! Thanks so much for your reply!!

11. Taxidermywithnina

Taxidermywithnina New Member

You’re the best! Not another man that can explain how to tan SIMPLY!

12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The Turpentine/Denatured Alcohol 50/50 concoction is being used by a reputable and well respected taxidermist who has a YouTube channel showing how to use it on small mammals like squirrels. I believe many beginners have seen the video and that is probably where this idea came from. I, personally, use DP on squirrels and wet tan all mammals bigger than that professionally.

13. George

Not sure about that "reputable and respected" tag, but I know he has his minions who follow him diligently. I'm certainly no Carl Akeley but my work in the 50's would stack up well against his current renderings. Back then I was told that the original liquid Griffin Shoe Polish would tan hides. It was only later that figured out that if I'd just mounted the hides raw I'd have been as close to "tanning" as with the shoe polish- and saved the quarter the bottle cost me. This guy and I share a lot in common: had it not been for the internet, neither of our names would have been recognizable. The biggest difference is that I don't pass off that crap we used 60 years ago as the way to do things.

14. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well said he’s only respected by those who are gullible.
    I’ve had to many arguments over that fool.
    I’m still waiting to hear what chemical reaction it has in tanning priorities lol

15. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    EZ tan is much less expensive then the 50/50 and environment friendly. Plus your sure your getting a true tan. Yes I used it twice in same week would never do it again because of health concerns from fumes

16. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

onl
    ...only trying to be nice. He is a friend who went to high school with my wife and is really a nice guy. He does have thousands of followers and right or wrong, the methods work for him and his "minions".
    I guess the original poster should have directed his question to him and not here. The young man's question was about getting the smell out. Dawn dish washing liquid will get the smell out. It requires a couple of rinses but it works.
    As i said before, I do not use this method. I professionally tan all fox, badger and bobcat. Squirrels get DP. We all have our "best methods" and maybe that's just his. Calling him names isn't nice and doesn't answer the poster's question. That's all.

17. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

X

18. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Hmm never called him a name oh some need to read the lines not in between plus I was replying to George only
    Sorry you took it wrong as many do when they read and can’t sometimes comprehend what’s being said .
    It’s all good through

19. George

I'm just not politically correct. If he was my brother, I'd still say he was a hack misleading knowledge hungry people.
    I call 'em like I see 'em and regardless if whose friend or classmate he was, he is a hack. Being a nice guy has nothing to do with that.

rarestjewels likes this.
  20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I think you did call him a name.