1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jward1010, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

I am looking for a skin mount or reproduction to start painting on. If anyone has anything please let me know I would be interested.i want to get into the arp 3D repro, but I need some practice painting the fish

2. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Good thing about buying a reproduction blank is you can always strip it down and repaint it. Buying a good reproduction would be a good investment for your learning. Paint it as many times as you want.

Sotired and ShawnK like this.

3. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

I was thinking the arp 3d

Lance.G likes this.
  4. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

You can order the Arp reproductions from McKenzie, and have them within days. They are typically in-stock blanks, versus waiting 3-6 weeks in many cases, on other manufacturers.

5. snag

snag Member

What kind of fish would you like?

6. I used to practice painting heads, fins and, skins of fish I kept from various fishing trips. Just soaked em in borax water for a day or two, pinned n dried, then painted. Then I'd bring them with on other fishing trips to compare with live fish.

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Just watch which blanks you intend on repainting then stripping
    Those plastic ones will degrade, or loose detail from solvents
    I would recommend fiberglass for practice
    CL

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Another way of practice paint on fish is what I had done. When I keep fish for eating I filleted off the side skin and clued it onto a piece of foam. I can paint these several times.
    Cheap practice!