1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Minor Pelt Repair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AnonFox, Jan 25, 2019.

1. AnonFox

AnonFox New Member

Hey folks,

I own a cross fox pelt, it is a personal wallhanger for myself that I do not have any intention of selling at any point. It has about a 1.5 inch diameter hole in the *thin* skin on the underside, right by its hind legs (otherwise mint condition). I am looking to repair it when I get the chance but have a couple questions for those with experience. Thank you in advance for any advice, I greatly appreciate it!

My current idea to repair this is flip the pelt partly inside out, sew it together as normal, then reinforce the area by gluing down a small patch of semi-thin, porous fabric over the area.

- Would this work?
    - Will this be stable for many years?
    - What sort of glue should I use?
    - What fabric if you know?
    - I have no intentions of partly mounting, rehydrating, reselling, etc, but what risks should I be aware of if any? I just don't want to wreck the pelt by accident.

Thank you so much!

2. Coalrunner2019

Coalrunner2019 New Member

Use fabric softener sheets, pull seam together and glue. If the seam doesn’t come together perfect, trim it to were it will. I see no reason in sewing if it’s just a wall hanger. I would use 2 part apoxy

3. AnonFox

AnonFox New Member

Thanks for the response! Sounds like a good plan. And you're right, I have no real reason to repair this (it's not an area where any tension is placed hanging), simply more of a preference thing. Thanks!

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I would just sew it as you would any hole encountered during taxidermy. The fur will hide the seam and it will last longer.

Fallenscale likes this.
  5. Coalrunner2019

Coalrunner2019 New Member

Either way will work, sewing will work fine be sure and not sinch the hair down under the thread and you’ll be fine. Since you won’t be mounting and there won’t be any tention on the hide glew and fabric will work fine also