1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fin Backing

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by WLELTD, Jan 25, 2019.

1. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

what are you guys using for fin backing, and looking for something that has longevity and wont curl, thanks

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I always used Tuf-Fin on both sides of warm water fish and backed it with lens paper (and method taught me by Paul Borkowski) Got some mounts that are over 25 years old here with no curls.

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

PM sent

4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I'm much like George, only i use mod-podge with the lens tissues, if a fish has a major split in the fins after drying. I cover the whole fins normal thin thin out some magic smooth to fill in the split after allowing to dry for an hr. I have rubber molds of fins to press the grooves into the fins to bring back the look as if no split was there.

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Same as above with the paper. I always seal the fins first with Shellac, which I think reduces fin curling.
    Fins do get more brittle after many years.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  6. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

Purchase a roll of 2" clear packing tape and apply it to the backside of your fins. Use Modge Podge on the show side and coat them twice and let dry. Remove the tape and coat the backsides. Be careful and the tape will not pull the Modge Podge with it. I only mount my fish as pedestals so I can't use tape. This method has never failed and I have had some pretty torn up fins and horrendous pike tails with large gaps. The only time you may have a problem with curling would be in the case of large pectoral fins like on a Walleye or Perch. To prevent that brush the back side with epoxy first and then apply the tape and add the coats over them. The only drawback would be those fins would loose their flexibility. Just another option.

7. hambone

hambone Member

I never used lens paper, could you be specific about what type you use, I'd like to try some.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019