1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taking Photos For Reference

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brad Hendrickson, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

When taking photos for reference photos, are there any special techniques people use
    to get the best photos to show the true color of the fish? photos can be so deceiving in relation to color of the actual fish. Just wondering.. Thanks

2. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have been going places like Cabelas to photo fish in the water. Fish can be really difficult to get colors as they change from lake types to depth of water or even fish caught on a river. I have hundreds of pics, about all a taxidermist could really do is shot for a good middle / average in the colors. I have seen Northern pike from a black/ silver sides to dark green/ yellow. I am still looking for that really good color for Pike. Walleyes are are eve harder, dark brown/ with bright golden sides to the metalic Greens and silvery sides of Lake Winnipeg.

hope this helps All you can do is photo and photo.

Fallenscale likes this.

3. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

i'll just take as many photos as I can as I go on thanks

4. Overcast days seem to provide the best light for fish photos. Also take short close videos to show the color changes, metallics, and pearls

5. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Very true ShoreFisherman. or in a semi shaded area.

6. I take as many pictures as I can of a subject, many times trying to catch as much of the iridescent qualities as possible. Jerrys fish 3.jpg Colorful.jpg Becca jig 2.jpg

Sotired likes this.
  7. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Member

wow look at those IRRI....

8. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Digital is great and a 60mm Macro is my choice when I shoot.

Rick Krane

Brad Hendrickson and Sotired like this.