1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paper Deer Form?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Deerman, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    I think this is a paper deer form, I am doing a remount on the this deer mount, Any idea how old this mount could be? It los like it is wrapped with excelsior and clay, no glue.2 pics
    [​IMG]DSC_0011 by Rickey Durham, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0006 by Rickey Durham, on Flickr

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It's at least 50 years old. The paper forms were pretty much out by the mid 70's. It was probably mounted in the 50's or 60's.

3. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    It's was in good shape to be such an old mount.

4. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Like Joey said at least 40 or 50 years my grand dad did taxidermy back then I remember seeing the molds for the paper forms when I was just a kid and I'm 53 now

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It sure looks like the last generation of papier mache forms. There were red rosin forms that didn't have as much detail as I see on this mount. It's quite good for its era and if excelsior and clay were used for a better fit, it was done by a top end taxidermist. The neck looks round and back in those days, the necks looked like a puff adder. Most deer were mounted using raw dextrin and you really wouldn't notice it being there as you tore the skin off. It's that powdery substance most people think of as borax instead of the primitive glue of the time. It doesn't appear to have been shellacked. Shellacking paper forms was the first thing you did in order to cut down on the moisture getting into the mache. (And mache is a tricky word. In that era, it was not chopped up like we see today but rather strips of paper glued and overlapped in order to contour to a mold.) Some people bragged about not using mache since if the hide was too small, you could sew it up and compress the paper to fit. Jonas used to use that in their catalogs as an advantage over the fiberglass forms that soon followed.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I remounted a black tailed deer that was mounted in 1977 on a paper form. I know this because the guy, who is a friend of mine, still had the receipt. I also know the guy who mounted it and he used paper forms into the eighties until they were all gone.

John67 likes this.
  7. John67

John67 Member

I began head mounts in 1984, and all the African game head forms I received from Van Dykes and West Coast were paper. I didn’t have a power jigsaw at that time and absolutely hated cutting plywood for the backboard by hand.