1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead Head Cleaning

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Dapperistdan, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Dapperistdan

Dapperistdan New Member

Mass
    Hey guys, I found a partially buried dead head the other day. The antlers and skull are stained a bit. Obviously the skull is in rough shape to begin with, but I was looking for any suggestions or opinions on how to best optimize this find.

Thanks to this site i now have a dermestid colony and a degreasing tank. Should i put this into the degrease tank? Thoughts on removing the stains from the antlers?

Any help would be appreciated, this site has been absolutely great.

image2.jpeg image1 (2).jpeg

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's pretty clean so I would degrease it for a while. It can't hurt and will probably loosen up a lot of the embedded dirt. Spray it down with water first, take a toothbrush and liquid detergent and give the antlers a good scrubbing all over to get the dirt on them off and rinse well.

After it has sat for a while and you think the skull is pretty clean you can try and whiten it. There may be mineral stains that you can either leave or try to remove with Iron Out.

Nice set of antlers. Looks like he had a hole in them too. Too bad you didn't find it sooner.

3. Dapperistdan

Dapperistdan New Member

Mass
    Thanks for the advice Sea Wolf. Yeah its a shame I found them a bit too late, but I dont find much so I want to make the best of it.

4. Sea Wolf

For not finding anything, you made up for it. Post updates on that. Would like to see how it cleans up.

Setsuna likes this.
  5. Dapperistdan

Dapperistdan New Member

Mass
    Figured i'd share an update. Its too bad the skull is so damaged. I attached another before/after deadhead I found this winter.

image1 (6).jpeg
    57954682350__6F146490-EF7F-43CB-BF7B-F4E283D96BED.JPG
    image1 (7).jpeg

Lance.G, landdepot and Micah Howards like this.
  6. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

That looks really good!!

7. You could replace the damaged skull with an artificial one from McKenzie's.

8. Sea Wolf

Those cleaned up really well. The first one with the holey antler is unique. You must have some really bad trackers around you during hunting season.

The second one, you restored the broken point? Nice job on that. Looks nice.

9. Dapperistdan

Dapperistdan New Member

Mass
    Harvey, I think you have something with the artificial heads, I wasnt crazy about the thought of it, but it sure will look better than those busted skulls.

Thanks Sea Wolf, yeah, I'm sure theres some hunters kicking themselves for not finding these guys (assuming they were shot)

10. Better yet, ask around and find a fresh skull that someone is not going to use and clean it and transfer the antlers to the new skull. A plastic skull looks OK from a distance, not so much up close.

You did a nice job with what you had to work with!

11. landdepot

landdepot Active Member

Nice work,...something about those dead head restoration projects I love to do. They're fun.