1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding Bird Heads

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Remington87, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Remington87

Remington87 New Member

I have recently developed some minor lack of curing issues in small areas on my last few molds with both Dragon Skin and
    P-15. Curious if anybody has a thought on potential cause or more importantly a solution. I realize there are a ton of variables but will say have not changed my mixing times from successful pours and wait 36 hrs before opening the mold.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Could be heat/temp. Could be humidity. I know even with steady indoor temps some products change behavior due to outside humidity, barometric pressure ect.

Chippers likes this.

3. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Where in the pour are you having issues? Are the small problem areas of your last few molds where the silicone makes contact with the head you're casting? One thing that comes to mind is that both of those products you listed are platinum cure silicones. These are much more sensitive to cure inhibition than tin cure silicones tend to be. The sulfur in blood can inhibit the cure of silicone, so this may be what is giving you trouble. It is possible to mold fresh carcasses with this type of silicone, but I've found that a few extra steps can up your success rate. First, remove as much blood from the surface as possible, rinse and blot it dry. Once your piece is set up, spray it with matte crystal clear to seal it prior to pouring your silicone. This will help to create a barrier between the sensitive silicone and any blood that might seep out while it's setting up. You can also try switching to tin cure silicones for molding your heads and see if you have better results.
    Hope this helps!

4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    try the search feature and enter this:

Molding and Casting Artificial Bird Heads

lots of good info there and an easier process as well.

5. Remington87

Remington87 New Member

Thanks for the points of emphasis to check on!!!!!