1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is A Cleaned Skull Considered A Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by CandidCoyote, Jan 28, 2019.

1. CandidCoyote

CandidCoyote New Member

Hey so I just want some feed back or some peoples opinions. Obviously the best source of this is going to be talking directly to someone in Fish and Game but I want to hear what other people think before I if its even worth trying.
    anyway
    In washington state law it states bear teeth and claws cannot be sold unless permanently affixed to a pelt or mount. My question then is, is a cleaned skull considered a mount? Does it seem like it would be legal to sell a cleaned bear skull with its teeth affixed?
    thanks much for anything anyone has to say

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Your best and most legal answer will come from the Washington State Game & Fish Commission. Contact them and ask your question.

Mike Powell likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

What Joey said - X2!! I would think it would be considered a mount, especially if attached to a plaque or stand, but if the Washington State officials deem otherwise saying, “these guys on taxidermy.net told me it was a mount” will not be a justifiable defense. Talk to the people who enforce that law to see how “they” interpret or define it. Theirs is the only opinion that counts.

joeym likes this.
  4. CandidCoyote

CandidCoyote New Member

Thanks guys, I definitely plan to contact them on the subject, I just wanted to make sure there was a case to make or that I wasnt just being completely dumb before I took up their time

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Agreed that you need to contact them directly and get your answer in writing to keep just in case. I would bet that they mean a mounted bear or a rug but possibly they may let a skull slide if the teeth are glued in and it is attached to a plaque. It's called a European mount by many but that is a bear you shouldn't poke with a stick. Get an answer from the folks that you will get into trouble with if there is an issue.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Be prepared for varying responses because half the time they are not really sure what their regulations mean.

7. Wisconsin has the same law. here the skull cannot be sold by itself. here we can sell the hide but technically it needs the claws and skull in the hide. IF the hide does not have the skull i am not sure if you would be charged because i see a lot of people here selling a hide without the skull so not sure if they would enforce that part. i had a game warden tell me this years ago.