1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Auto Tanner

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kt taxidermy, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

anyone have any practice or ratings on the auto tanner? Looking into buy one and I’m having a hard time finding reviews on them.

2. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Most replies will say air pressure is a scam or use this or that but hard to get a real in depth discussion about results.i bought one 10 years ago before I knew anything about tanning.i do about 30 deer a year.i personally love it.i put it in before work and when I come home I let it drain for a hour then shave it put it back in with scour and oil the next day after work I wash finial shave eye nose lips etc. And sew holes measure cape and freeze. I save $80 or more on sending it out to tannery and don't have the mess of all the salting picking solution etc. It works good for me and I will definitely get another one but will look at the kind that doesn't require air pressure.if anyone else who did home tanning the old way and tried the auto tanner and had real trouble with the results please chime in because my opinion is based on only knowing this way

Setsuna and Kt taxidermy like this.

3. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Thanks. I was looking at the one from dan Rinehart. It does use are pressure and he states it should do hides in 4 hours. I was wondering if that was really just a gimmick to get you to buy one or not. Hmm thanks for the input.

4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I read the turning the secret not the air pressure. I would believe you would want a vacuum more then air pressure.

5. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

This tanner uses air pressure plus turning. It’s has some sort of scientific explanation on the Flyer but you know how that goes. They like to blow smoke.

6. Fallenscale

NY
    I'm sure they work. DAN been around along time . But I still believe a vacuum would allow faster penetration

Kt taxidermy likes this.
  7. Jroepro54

Jroepro54 New Member

KT Taxidermy, This is my first year as a taxidermist and I traded for the Vacuum Tanner that your talking about. Like everyone says the pressure or Vacuum is a gimmick and the tumbling/agitation is the key. Yes you can tan a hide in 4hrs. I personally leave it in for at least 6 hrs. My last go around with it i experimented with putting it in for 4hrs, shaving it, then putting it in for another 4hrs. I think the results were pretty much the same. Like what was said already in the post, it is nice to just cape something out, flesh it, turn it, and then throw it in the tanner. Not salting!!!! The solution i uses is Aluminum Sulfate, Salt, and H20 for now (got a bunch of Aluminum Sulfate with the tanner). I will prob switch over to something else when I get low to see how I like it.

8. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Thank you. I am just starting out so all this is helpful. I just ask this question because I planned on also being a tannery for other trappers and taxidermist around.

9. Jroepro54

Jroepro54 New Member

No problem.. I thought the same thing but it is very time consuming starting out that's for sure. I'm prob going to send out my deer capes this next season and just tan mammals in house. Where are you located at?

10. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Maine.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Buy the auto tanner and use it without the pressure and it will work great or use the pressure, if you buy into that, and it will work great. It would even work ok if you just tanned the skin with no rotation or pressure.
    If a skin will tan in a bucket, it certainly will tan in an auto tanner. The only thing you have to loose is 1000 plus dollars if none of that works, although all of that will tan your skins.

12. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Dan claims that the pressure will press the tanning agents into the hide much faster so tanning goes from 6 days to 4 hours. Isn’t most tanneries run with pressure kilns?

13. James S.

James S. New Member

Kt....I only been doing taxidermy for a year now. The guy who has trained me has been doing it for over 30. He salted everything and put it in a bucket for 5-7 days. I came across a great deal from a guy who bought everything you would need to do taxidermy new, but decided it wasnt for him shortly after. One of the items was an auto tanner. The guy I trained with said there was no way it could work the way they said and he said sell it for what I could. I finally talked him into trying it on a couple of our extra capes. He absolutely loves it now and will only tan hides in my auto tanner. I have the 22 gal one. He likes it so much that I found a 45 gal one that was being sold on this site and he bought it for himself. We have tanned over 100 hides in the tanner. I have had 2 that I had some hair slippage on but both hides were brought in soaking wet and had a bad odor so it didnt surprise me when that happened. If you're going to do a lot of tanning i think they are worth every cent. If your not it would be hard to justify spending the money unless you get a great deal on one. And also even though it says to wait until the second go around to do the final fleshing....I turn the eyes lips ears nose and flesh it first....then turn it for one hour....dont rinse but spin it out in washer and turn it for the other 3 hrs. A lot of times I'll let it turn longer though. Also if the hides on its second turning and you cant be there when done....you can leave it in the tanner til the next day. Some guys on here hate them and say they are a joke but a lot of guys like them. Depends on what want. We like it. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Kt taxidermy likes this.
  14. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Th

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Agitation will tan your skins in 4 hrs. A skin can only soak up so much. But, anyway, if you want the pressure, no big deal. Use it. It can't hurt your skins.

A guy that was selling prostate pills at the fair told me that if you have to get up at night and pee, even once, you have a bad prostate and need his pills. I said what if I drank too much water before bed and he said it didn't matter. You won't have to pee if your prostate was good.
    I said give me five bottles, because my wife gets up at least three times to pee. He laughed and said women don't have a prostate, she just drinks too much liquid before bed. I said I rest my case!

There is always someone respectable selling snake oil. I have no proof of what pressure does to a skin, but, I wouldn't take Dans word for it.

16. Fallenscale

NY
    I don't think Dan developed the pressure tanner. But he does sell it. Someone has the true answers that uses one and try ed different methods with it.

Kt taxidermy likes this.
  17. LHT

LHT Member

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Steve (I'm going to butcher the spelling of his last name) Rometral developed the Autotanner. He then went on to develop a new tanner and guess what? No pressure. His new one looks great and I have heard good things about it, however, I heard that something happened with him,so, I don't know if he is still selling it.

I like LHT's suggestion.

Fallenscale likes this.
  19. cooper

cooper New Member

20. cooper

cooper New Member

Just bought the Cape Saver. I have had 2 auto tanner. The chemicals are extremely hard on the metal tanks and you can not just replace the tanks. Dan wont sell just the tanks so I went with Cape Saver. Agitation is all you need , air pressure helped seal door on auto tanner design.

pir^2h and Kt taxidermy like this.