1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Experience With Rinehardt Dinosaur Forms

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, Feb 1, 2019.

  1. Trapper2016

    Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

    Hello everyone,

    I recently wrapped up painting one of John Rinehardts Hadrosaurus replicas and after some frustration, i thought I would share my experience when working with it. I hope it will help guide others in the future who are not that experienced such as myself. I should add that i also ordered the VHS regarding painting this dinosaur and while it gives you a good place to start, it doesn't cover certain topics. They pretty much take it right out of the box and go right to painting.

    So the first thing I would suggest is wiping the form down in soemthing such as thinner to make sure any mold release is gone from the form. After that was done, i had to do quite a bit of apoxie sculpt work. It wasn't entirely necessary, but since this piece was just for myself i wanted to put in the extra effort. Basically you are lookin at just minor air bubbles or a crack or 2 that needs repaired. You will also need to sand the seems where the 2 pieces of the form were put together. This left a fairly uneven texture, so i apoxie sculpted the area and then sanded and blended it in.

    At this point i was concerned that due to the nature of certain foam, that the foam may not take the paint effectively. So i did some research on different foam prop forums and found that most use a mixture of elmers glue and water to seal the foam. So i applied roughly 3 coats allowing each to dry before the next. I then applied a layer of clear sealer over that and once that was dried i applied a layer of white primer followed by another layer of sealer. I then painted the dinosaur up using primarily yellow ochre and burnt sienna. I then used pan pastels and pearl ex pigments to do detail work. After all that was done i had the critter looking pretty nice and did final layers of sealant. I then thought it would be a good idea to hit it with a gloss, so i hit it with a layer making sure all previously work was dry.

    To my shock i had an instant reaction. The gloss caused something to react and i instantly got about a dozen areas of what i will call curdling. None of thse appeard with any layer of sealer and everything was allowed to dry before the gloss was applied. I honestly don't know what caused this reaction but the only thing i could figure was possibly the glue layer underneath. Though i am open to suggestions of the source of the problem. So after some choice words i realized these areas were on the face and thus couldn't be covered effectively. So i started over. I took off the paint as best i could and began sanding to get rid of the glue layer.

    Unfortunately this also took some of the detail off the form, but i managed to conserve a good bit. Once i did that i then repeated the entire procedure minus the glue layer. Everything worked out good from that point on, but i decided not to use a gloss this time and instead just use about 4 layers of laq sealer with a gloss added. This worked well with no problems. I still have a little work left to do on him, but he pretty much is done. He looked better the first time, but it turned out alright. I always liked this paint schedule ever since i saw it in the old rinehardt catalogs from back in the 90s, so i went with it.

    These are fun pieces to paint, but for those who take on one, i would not advise using a glue layer to seal the foam. I do not think its necessary and I don't want my experience to happen to you. I hope this helps some in the future.

    Chris hardosaurus 3.jpg