1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Caps

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kt taxidermy, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

anyone ever used spray foam to make skull cap crowns for mounting on plaques? If not what have you done?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

For elk antler mounts I use a foam mannikin from WASCO/McKenzie and two part foam over the skull plate and rasp to match the form. I do this so it won't weigh so much. Spray foam might work. I have never tried it for this. On deer, I use fast set mache'. Sorry George, just used to doing it this way. George will say Bondo!

Kt taxidermy likes this.

3. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

I thought about bondo. Just be a lot to build up with just bondo. Figured the foam would expand. Maybe a little of both?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The thing about foam is you have to be able to judge the expansion. Foam isn't the easiest to remove from antlers. I always taped up the burrs and main beam with blue tape a little ways. Bondo is easy to get it close to the shape you want, it dries hard quickly, you can shape it with plastic sheeting and/or a water wet gloved finger. You can trim when it is in the gel state and rasp and sand when it is cured.

The only advantage to foam is the light weight. It is probably more expensive than Bondo also.

Kt taxidermy likes this.
  5. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Good points! Maybe use something else as just a rough filler then use the bondo. Thanks! Greatly appreciate it

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I used to hot glue little blocks of foam for filler.

7. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Good idea.