1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Polytranspar Wet Look Gloss

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Wookworkers Studio, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Wookworkers Studio

Wookworkers Studio New Member

Can anyone help me? I bought Ploytranspar Wet Look Gloss to spray as my final gloss coat and I can't get it to gloss. It just stays dull. I spray with a detail gun.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Don't be insulted by this but I assume you are spraying it heavy enough? Just so you know I stopped buying clear coats from the taxidermy suppliers years ago due to problems. I had one that refused to harden. Was told by the manufacturer (Lifetone) that it was probably old.

I buy a urethane automotive clear coat on eBay at a good price and free shipping. No more issues but you must use a good exhaust fan. But being a woodworker I'm sure you know all about that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive...=item3cc3ddbc36:g:MoIAAOSwEnhcUxLk:rk:10:pf:0

JL and Sotired like this.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    How many coats have you applied? Will take 3 to 4

4. Is it dull or cloudy,if cloudy I've heard people using a hair dryer to clear it up,look on you tube might be some help there also.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

To clarify - 2-3 FLASH COATS and then one final, wet coat making sure you don't get it on too thick. As Cecil mentioned some glosses are more temperamental than others. But, ultimately the bulk of the problems can typically be attributed to the end user. Applying a nice even, wet coat takes practice. And don't start out on a 50" musky!

As far as the water based glosses go. Nothing comes close to Wood &Water's Gloss IMO. Easy to apply and the end result is amazing for a WB gloss especially! Cut it with a little bit of water and you're good to go. Easy clean-up too. Clean-up time and health issues are the reasons I will never use an auto gloss. Unless you're set up to do a large batch at a time that is to make it worth your while...

Sotired likes this.
  6. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

What pressure and size tip do you like. I just ordered this auto clear. I’m finally switching over!

7. FishArt

Not Cecil, but it sounds to me like you need a touch-up gun or spray gun. You're not going to be able to put an auto clear thru any air brush....

8. Lance.G

I got one. I’m asking what tip size and pressure y’all have found to work best spraying this stuff.

FishArt likes this.
  9. FishArt

IDK. I just use my touch-up gun and it only has one tip. And I would shoot on a lower PSI (20-25 maybe?) to help with the fog (if you don't have proper ventilation). It'll still leave a fog but much less at this lower PSI.

Lance.G likes this.
  10. Lance.G

Thanks fish art

FishArt likes this.
  11. fishtech2029

fishtech2029 New Member

I use krylon crystal clear its called it works great and gives you the wet look and shine at the same time I got mine at Walmart