1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginning On Rabbits

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Waylandor, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Waylandor

Waylandor New Member

Ok I am absolutely new no experience, Willing to buy whatever is necessary to get started, but someone is giving me two rabbits tomorrow and I have no idea what the best way to skin them is. I tried googling but it shows me a heap of different ways! I'm wanting to do them as a soft mount if that changes the best way to go about it. I'm also told I have to salt them (then I'll mail to a girl to tanned them) and have no idea about that either. I feel so stupid but eager to learn

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Have you skinned many animals? Rabbits are hard to skin they tear easy and are thin skin. There is no right way skin to mount It's all up to the person mounting the animal. Personally I try to skin which allows the least amount of sewing and where the sew line be less seen on the mount.

3. Waylandor

Waylandor New Member

In all honesty I haven't ever skinned anything I've been watching alot of tutorials and heard that rabbits have thin skin but it's the only thing I can get my hands on until hunting season in April hopefully then I can get a fox or two though I have been offered a deer but I'd rather practice on the free rabbits thinking case skinning atm

4. Fallenscale

NY
    Case skinning will work. Remember you alway can add a cut line if needed. Take your time. Besure to skin the feet all the way to the toes. Have your plan before you start. You may want a pair cutting pliers to cut the leg bones to ease the skinning of the feet.

5. Waylandor

Waylandor New Member

I d
    I didn't even think about pliers might pick a set up specifically for this, any thing else you recommend? Especially knife wise having some issues there looking at buck or muela with a gut hook but would love to hear what other people use

6. Fallenscale

NY
    You will want a scalpel small blade.

Waylandor likes this.
  7. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

For a beginner, I would recommend the deer that was offered before I would a rabbit. Remember, you're just learning. I'm sure you can find much more advice/videos/pictures of caping/turning a deer than a rabbit. As mentioned above, a rabbit skin will tear very easily, not to mention turning the ears.

Waylandor likes this.