1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Long Horn Euro

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rottdogs, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Rottdogs

Rottdogs New Member

Hello, I have a 14 year old Longhorn head that I am wanting to put in with my beetles to be cleaned. Question is, I simmered the horns from 5pm till 5am and still am unable to get the horn caps to come off. Any suggestions on how to get them off? If I put the skull with the horn caps in with my beetles will they hurt the horn caps? This is a first time I have dealt with a longhorn. Any suggestions would be Great. Thanks

2. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

Just put the head in water , make sure the head is completely covered. Keep the water Luke warm and the horn caps will come off in 4 or 5 days. I just did a 6 ft wide head and the horns came off easily. You may want to cover it with a blue tarp at night to help retain water temp. I used a 6 ft stock tank to do the head

3. Rottdogs

Rottdogs New Member

Thank you... I know this is a stupid question but how did u keep water luke warm. You like a stock tank heater or something else.

, make sure the head is completely covered. Keep the water Luke warm and the horn caps will come off in 4 or 5 days. I just did a 6 ft wide head and the horns came off easily. You may want to cover it with a blue tarp at night to help retain water temp. I used a 6 ft stock tank to do the head[/QUOTE]

4. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

[/QUOTE]
    Stock tank heater helps, also use a heat lamp, if you are in a below freezing zone you may need to insulate your container

Rottdogs likes this.
  5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Depending on the curve of the horns you may have to get a come-a-long to put the sheaves. I did a mount and had to literally pull the sheaves off.... This is all done after you have rotten/soaked the head & horns.
    Use 1-2" webbing, wrap it around the sheave, secure the skull with another piece of webbing to a solid anchor point.
    I used my pickup as one anchor point then pulled the sheave with the come-a-along. You make have to use a dead-blow hammer to break the sheave from the cores. but it should pull off.

If you put the head with the sheaves in the bugs they will not only eat the flesh but also the sheaves!!!! The sheaves are the same type of tissue as our finger nails...

sgsmith likes this.