1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Natural Duck Head

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Wally Gator, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Good evening y'all. So far, I have only used artificial heads, but I am about to do a merganser using the natural head. I have already skinned him, and have the skin inverted over the skull, just beyond the eyes, still attached. Does anyone know of a similar tutorial where the skin remains attached the the skull? From what I deduct from some other posts, some folks leave the skin attached, but I haven't seen any illustrations. Is there a risk of rot or stink at the area of the skin that is left without preservative? By the way, my bird is back in the freezer until the weekend. Thanks

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There will be no rot or stink. Invert the skin to almost to the line of connection at the bill. There is absolutely no need to separate the skin from the skull at this point. Liberally apply preservative, and you will be just fine. I have never seen the need for an artificial skull on a Hoody. It's super easy to prep the real skull, invert, and mount.

Fallenscale and BrookeSFD16 like this.

3. Wally Gator

Great. Thanks a lot. One more question...the skin under the lower bill, does it stay or is it removed and fill with clay, then painted?

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The skin under the bill remains. The preservative will cure it.

Fallenscale and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  5. Wally Gator

Finished the hoodie last night, well, this morning at 1:30... quite pleased with the head and eyes. This is just my fourth bird. Got lots of hours in it. Thanks for your input. Pics of head attached.

Attached Files:

Fallenscale likes this.
  6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Well done you should be proud. would help see it better if there was a solid back drop.

7. Wally Gator

Thanks. Light in my pool room is poor. I will post more pics when the props come off...with better lighting and backdrop.

Fallenscale likes this.