1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brains Of A Bigger Bird....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Claudia, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Claudia

Claudia Member

Hi guys, after many goes and questions here, I have managed to get small baby birds down packed. I have a big bird in the freezer but am scared to start him as I've never done a big one. With the small one's I scoop the brains out with q tips but I'm guessing a big bird is different......question is, how do you remove the brains of a big bird and also, is the rest pretty much the same except on a bigger scale?
    Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Mounting a displaying grouse by Danny Owens from Taxidermy Training Unlimited or Mounting a standing quail by Stefan Savides from Research Mannikins shows you how to do this in great detail and is the method I use.

Bite the bullet and order them before you continue.

msestak and Claudia like this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

At one time, supply companies carried "brain spoons" to use instead of your Q-tips. I made my own by flattening some 6 gauge wire and shaping it on a belt sander. Gave it away with the shop equipment.

4. Claudia

Claudia Member

I guess I'll find out when I get to the head, I suppose what I wanted to know for now is if it's the same process as a small bird where you skin over the head, keep the skull in, recreate with clay etc.
    Also with the wings, any tips on skinning the ulna which the feathers attach to?

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

It is pretty much the same process... Cout along the bone to separate the cartlage and fearher bases from the ulna, then work on opening the area enough to remove all the meat.
    I don’t mean to intrude Claudia, but reading between the lines a little, it seems that you may be from outside the USA. If that is indeed the case, some materials and instructional resources may be difficult to get and expensive. There are some excellent resources for free in the tutorial section of this forum. I suggest you take advantage of the material, and the instruction available here.

6. Claudia

Claudia Member

Yes I'm in Australia. Taxidermy here is no as common, in fact I'll go as far as saying, it's a hidden art here, as the US. Therefore getting products like for injecting feet and forms is not only hard but expensive. There's only one place I'm aware of here that sell taxidermy supplies so they rip you off. Also getting items from the US is expensive due to postage. But yes I've seen videos about skinning close to the ulna, looks tricky but obviously doable. I've got one beautiful big bird in my freezer I found dead but am reluctant to try cause he's the only one I have, but gotta try. Thanks for the info

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

It comes of pretty easily if you just take care to keep your blade up against the bone as you cut. Then you have to get the flesh off without detaching the feathers. Just take your time and you’ll do fine.

8. Claudia

Claudia Member

Thanks Mike, got all the theory, just gotta practice it now