1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Butt Hair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gary04, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Ok am doing a deer butt for a customer and having problems getting the hair to lay flat on the end of the form. I have taped it down while still wet but it wont lay flat and smooth. How do i get it to lay smooth and nice looking.

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

same way you get your mustache to lay flat.... ha ha......van dykes hair set gel

gary04 likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Get some conditioner (like after shampoo conditiner) and apply it to the hair...it will “soften” the hair and help the hair lay flat.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

What I do is round over the edge of the form quite a bit so that the hair gently rolls from the front to the back of the form. It still wants to lift up a little, but, it is much more manageable this way.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Gary, a deer uses its butt hair as a sign of danger as it runs off. Much like the tail "flowers", the butt hairs move to the outside. If you're doing it as a flagging deer, you don't want those hairs laying flat. You need to pull the body skin a bit tighter so that there's a definitive "edge" where the butt hairs go over the body hairs and give it a "blossomed" effect.

Setsuna likes this.