1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bluegill Eye Color???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ballright, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Ballright

Ballright New Member

I received some bluegill Cooper flex eyes from McKenzie and far edge of the pupil is red looks more like a rockbass eye never seen that before and reference pics also doesn't have that called Cooper and they said all their panfish eyes are like that I only ordered them because that's what the arp repo called for,my question is will I be able to paint over it to darken it up without it being noticeable? Don't know if the cap comes off or not, what have you done? Red eye in Michigan is common for humans not gills...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You can paint over it , clean the pupil and then gloss over it. But yes. I never order the panfish/bluegill eyes for that reason. I've never found it in bluegill either .

FishArt likes this.

3. Ballright

Ballright New Member

Thank you for the reply

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You can also use the smallest LMNP FlexEyes for bigger bluegills/panfish and trim them down if need be. The 10 MM's...

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's what I do. Raising bluegills for sale to taxidermists I see a lot of bluegill eyes. For me the closest match for most commercial bluegill is the Wayne Cooper 10 to 12 mm LMB eye.

FishArt likes this.
  6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Let me explain why the red is in the Wayne Cooper Flex eyes. Apparently it was modeled after some southern bluegills which display the red in the eyes of which I have pictures to proof it. Occasionally you will see that red in the eyes in private pond northern gills. That's because 95 percent of the bluegills that are planted in northern ponds originated on Arkansas fish farms. It's more efficient for most fish suppliers to just buy the fish down there and haul them up here vs. producing them themselves.

Keep in mind I'm not saying all southern bluegills of which there is a subspecies (Coppernose bluegills) have red eyes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    FishArt likes this.
  7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

To add Cecil - I think it covers a lot of sunfish that are not bluegills too. There's several sunfish species with prominent red in their eyes...

Cecil likes this.