1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long To Dry Preserve

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Hurricane Harvey, Feb 6, 2019.

1. I am wondering how long I should keep a squirrel skin in dry preservative. I am using borax for the preservative.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Mount it right away. Tell me how it turns out I can't believe it can have a long shelf life with just borax. I know many only use it on squirrels. If you don't it will dry and lose it stretch

3. What would you use instead of borax?

4. Fallenscale

NY
    There are many things that can be used. A rub on tan like pro1 or any other. Alum tan would be Ok. Any true tan be good alum not a true tan but pretty good

Do get me wrong a very well known taxidermist and squirrel mannequin designer sends borax in his squirrel kit.

5. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Well-Known Member

Ohio
    You just want to rub it into the skin, then immediately start mounting. Every second its sitting there, its tightening and drying.

Fallenscale likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can use DP, DA, rub on tans or submersible tans. Borax is the last thing I would use as the above mentioned is superior to borax.

I believe that alum would be considered a true tan.

Fallenscale likes this.
  7. Fallenscale

NY
    Screenshot_2019-02-06-22-56-53.png

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Because we all know that anything you find on Google must be true...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    George and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  9. Before I saw most of you all are not in favor of using borax I did put the skin in borax. I had been under the impression that the skin is supposed to stay in the borax for a while. So I just got it out now. It was in there for approximately nineteen hours . And yes I think it did shrink a bit. So would you all recommend putting something else such as an alum tan on top of the borax?

10. HondaXR250

Ohio
    Ive used dry preservative on everything ive mounted. No problems with it at all. As far as tanning agents, others will know alot more than i will. Good luck

11. Do you use borax for dry preservative?

12. Fallenscale

NY
    Did you dry rub it with borax or soak it in water and borax ?

13. HondaXR250

Ohio
    Im not positive. I bought some dry preservative from a taxidermy supply and have had the same thing since. Havent used all of what i have, so figure when the time comes ill figure what to buy next. Im sure the preservative probably has borax in it.

14. I just poured some borax into a box and buried the skin in there.

15. Fallenscale

NY
    If you want to alum tan the hide. I would wash well in dawn soap raise very well all in cold/qcool water. Then go ahead and alum tan it. The biggest problem will be will the pH be to high seeing it was in borax. You could still alum tan it but cut your Soak time down to 24 hrs stir it often hide side out. The hide should go back to size.

16. HondaXR250

Ohio
    You could wrap it up and refreeze it. Might put a little moisture back in it. Then pull it out another time and mount it. Remember with powdered preservatives, rub them in, then mount.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Dry Preservative is not borax. It might have borax in it, but, it also has talc, alum and sometimes mothballs.

I would soak it in borax and water, dry it until just slightly damp and then powder it with borax and mount it. Don't over think this.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

This squirrel probably should be trashed. HOWEVER,if you are intent on saving it, submerge your hide in denatured alcohol. When it rehydrates, mount it immediately.
    You were given some bad information all the way around it seems. Borax is one of the oldest methods of preservation. Mountain men actually used it on big game carcasses in order to keep the flies from laying eggs and maggots ruining the meat. They learned quickly that the meat had to be shaved before attempting to eat, however, as borax is not only a type of soap and insecticide, it's one helluva laxative. In my early years we dissolved borax in denatured alcohol and mounted all the small game with it. We later learned that denatured alcohol by itself worked just as well.
    Dry preservative is made with three major ingredients: alum (an astringent), borax (an insecticide)and unscented talcum powder (a drying agent) in proportions of about 20/20/60. Sometimes cayenne pepper and naphthalene flakes (moth crystals) are added. When using it, NEVER APPLY IT UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO MOUNT. Once mounted, DO NOT TOUCH OR ATTEMPT TO REGROOM IT FOR 2 WEEKS MINIMUM. Dry preservative has a "loose hair" stage where hair can be easily pulled out. Once the hide dries properly, the hair is locked in.

Johnnyclyde and cyclone like this.