1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grey/tan Dirt?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Non-TypicalArtist, Feb 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Non-TypicalArtist

Non-TypicalArtist ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

Looking for ideas on what others may use for dirt such as the greyish color dirt for a Sonoran, MX or Western type habitat?

2. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Try looking at various colored grouts (sanded or smooth) at Home Depot or Lowe’s to mix with other elements depending on what you are trying to achieve. I also use concentrated dry powder pigments used for masonry found in same stores. Sometimes I blend all of above with very fine sand, local dirt, and sifted potting soil. On foam bases after coating with diluted Elmer’s glue (3 glue to 1 water), I apply the mix to coat it. A misting water spray bottle can create special washed effects and/or coloration streaks with diluted tempura paints. Also tiny amounts of powdered pigments dusted on this surface and misted will create richer highlights if desired.

Fallenscale likes this.

3. Non-TypicalArtist

That is some great information you provided there. Much appreciated!

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I just completed a base using MP's mix in his video. Which is just vermiculite, dry plaster-paris, glycerin, and cheap dark brown and black Tempera paints. It's easy to mix and apply and it's light.. You can add whatever you'd like to the top for texture or just rough up the surface after you've applied it. The good thing is when it dries you can use Windex'd thinned tempera paints and give it any coloration you'd like.

Just another option..

5. Non-TypicalArtist

Another good post. Thanks!

6. I have built a base or two with rock panels and added motor mix (that I added tempra powered paint to), then used an aerosol adhesive spray or brushed on white glue and sprinkled dirt over it to add some depth in colour and form. I also have been known to pull over and grab a Ziploc of dirt while driving when I see some with an interesting colour to use as a top-coat later also. 2014_California_Bighorn-sml.jpg base-moth.jpg base-sml.jpg

7. Even playground sand you can purchase most places in sandbags can work when mixed with small bags of special coloured sands from the Dollar Store or Michaels craft supplies.

8. Non-TypicalArtist

Thanks guys!