1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Preserve Turtle Shell

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sope, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Sope

Sope New Member

Hello, I was directed to these forums by a nice guy who told me that here I would find help for my questions.

Recently I have had my pet turtle pass away and I was looking as to how to preserve her shell and if I could her skull also but sadly I am absolutely clueless about what to do. Would appareciate any help given.

Setsuna likes this.
  2. Coalrunner2019

Coalrunner2019 New Member

Iv never preserved a turtle shell but I’m sure you’d have to skin it out. Removed the bottom plate from the main shell, remove all the meat inside the shell, sprinkle a little DP and let it dry out. I would air brush the top of shell then seal it so it doesn’t lose colors. As for the head. Simmer it on low heat until it’s clean then follow thru with whitening. Throw it in with some Beatles would work too. Hope this helps.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Do you live in fireant country? If you do, set it on a bed and within a few days your bones and shell will be thoroughly cleaned.
    If not, the shell must be THOROUGHLY CLEANED. In the top of the shell are "stringers" that hold the lungs and if not cleaned, will eventually stick. Some people boil them but you must take extreme care doing that. The carapace is bone that is covered with leathery plates that will dislodge. You can boil them off if not careful. Once your shell is clean, paint a heavy coat of Elmer's glue. This will give those platelets some strength and prohibit them from peeling off as the shell ages. The skull is done the same way.

hoytarcher and Coalrunner2019 like this.
  4. Coalrunner2019

Coalrunner2019 New Member

This is the guy you want to listen to. Very knowledgeable.